Haven't posted in some time, so...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayJudge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well, for the last month or so, I haven't had much to say. I have done a bit of diving, so I'll blab about that. I worked a trip Oct 10-11, for the remnants of our group, and RAD diver and a few others. It was great seeing them, unfortunately, the weather was not very fun. Friday, we ran inshore to the tug (the Titan?) I hooked it, as I could see it the second I got in the water. Great vis for inshore-40 ft or so. We did 2 dives on that, took a bit of a beating coming home. Saturday, Andy, RAD, and Trina joined us, and we had a will we run morning due to weather, not leaving the dock until 9 am. Captain Al waited to hear conditions from the fishing boats. We ran to the Indra, I was given the order to go, and either the current, or something dropped me on a rock pile 30 ft away. Twice I got the anchor to the wreck, twice I was pulled off it. So, they redropped me. Perfect hit, but on the wreck the vis had dropped to 10 ft at best. So, as I came aboard, our divers missed a squall that blew up, sideways rain, 8 ft plus seas, just nasty. When they did surface, they asked to move locations. So, we headed to the Suloide. A few minutes out, I went to station, and poor Clint had to put my fins on me. One on, and....man overboard. We took a good roller, and he lost balance....So, we circled, me hanging off the wheelhouse in doubles and one fin. Captain Al got Clint onboard almost immediately, and we set off for the Suloide again. Unfortunately, the numbers we had on the wreck were wrong. So, we started circling, looking. Finally, wreckage was spotted. In I went- after over 33 minutes of hanging on the wheelhouse (after Clint was recovered) I saw no dark spots of wreckage, infact, the first thing I saw was the bottom approaching very quickly. I searched the area for anything, and all I found was a crab. So, up I came. Knowing I couldn't do a 4th jump, at least for a bit, we tried to head to the Hutton/Arroyo or whatever it is. A final squall sent us running for home, making for the end of the weekend.
The next dives I did were to recover a van and trailer from a lake. The whole thing had gone in, and due to rain, Glen and I had 6 inches of vis. We felt it, dragged the tow lines to it, and, for about an hour and a half in the water, we made some good money.
Then, last weekend, A buddy and I dove at Storm. Had 2 ok dives (at least for Storm).
Now, I am happily awaiting our trip to Canada in June, and a few before that in the more local Jersey or inland areas.
-J

Hey there Jay, good to here from ya.
That weekend was definitely wild, but diving in the Mid-Atlantic has its days.
Thats why divers around here tend to be much better divers than some I see in other places with warm, gin clear waters.

Honestly, this may sound a tad bit on the crazy side, I would have loved to have been there. I have always loved rough seas!! :) When I was 12 years old, we were fishing off Nags Head when 4 water spouts formed...I begged my father to let them get close so I could see what the water would be like...he looked at me funny for some reason! :)

When I was in Playa last year, we have 4-5 ft seas in a 6 pack...I was hooting and hollering the whole time! The water was so rough when we got to shore that they couldn't pull into the shallows by the beach, we had to jump off with BC's inflated and mask and snorkel on and swim 50-60 yards in 4-5 ft swells!!!!. I helped everyone else off the boat and jumped out with the DM! I had a blast!!!!!!

If I knew I would survive, I would love to be in the ocean during a hurricane...there is something awesome about the power of the ocean...so yeah...I am a freak!

You are a sick, sick man Eric ;-) I saw RAD's report on NC, thats kinda why I hadn't posted....wasn't sure how mad you all were.... It was wicked coming back that last day. I sat (hang on for dear life) out on the end of the sun deck. Watching the waves crashing, thinking how so many ships met their fate in similar, if somewhat larger conditions. City of Houston springs to mind.... It is absolutely mesmerizing. It was great having you all onboard, hopefully, we can do it again, in much better weather. At least we have the numbers for the offshore stuff :D
-J, Jay, Jeff, Judge, hey you, etc

No problem Jay, we weren't mad at all, I hope that is not how my post (trip report) came across.
Even in those conditions, I think that the Mutiny did 1 fine job, as did the crew. Watching the man overboard drill being handled quickly & professionally was also nice to see.
I don't know how you stayed out there that long, I stayed just to get out of my wetsuit & it was wicked to say the least. Everyone else bailed way before that.
I think after a few trips like that, Eric might change his mind about wanting to be at sea during a Hurricane. We were in 6-8ft seas,plus we had a quick run in. Just imagine 20+ft seas & way off shore. I don't think even the Mutiny would be capable in that.

Unfortunately in those circumstances there is NO guarantee on survival.
The sea floor is covered with vessels that thought they could.
Which is the main reason most ops won't run in said conditions.

Join the USCG :) get on a big 300+ footer boat. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom