Have You (or Your Buddy) Ever Run Out Of Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen a fellow diver sharing air with a DM on a couple of occasions during my diving career, but don't know if any of those were out of air or just sharing to extend the dive a bit. I've never been even close to running OOA myself. As for the divers I have been buddied with, it has happened twice and to the same diver and on the same trip, on both occasions. Neither of these occasions was particularly dramatic and following is mostly an explanation of the circumstances leading to these events, so feel free to skip to the last paragraphs.

The trip in questions was a week-long liveaboard to a tropical location. Included in the package were 12L cylinders and for an extra price one could upgrade to 15L. The price was outrageous, of course, I could have bought a used 15L tank where I live for the price they charged for a week's rent. So I was opposed to upgrading until just before the trip when I was the trip roster and almost everyone had the upgraded tank size. I got a bad feeling about it and decided to pay for the larger size; after all, I was going on this expensive liveaboard trip for a week and there was no sense in risking it just to save a hundred or two €/$.

Of course my buddy turned out to be the only one (or at the very least one of the few) who hadn't taken the larger cylinder. He was not an inexperienced diver, in fact he had hundreds of dives under his belt, but this was his first liveaboard trip which probably explained him missing the warning signs. He did try to upgrade his cylinder once we got there, but they did not have any extra on board. In all fairness towards him, the organizer had only informed us beforehand that not ordering the larger cylinder before the trip would result in an increased rental price, not that it would be impossible altogether.

It immediately turned out that most of our group were experienced divers and had relatively similar air consumption rates, and so my buddy was running out of air before the rest of us. There was little possibility to change buddies at this point, and besides everyone else had the 15L cylinder anyways, so we agreed to go by his remaining air and not take any risks. Although I do like to be on the lookout for good photography opportunities, honestly speaking this trip did not have them in abundance and I wasn't missing much leaving a bit early with him, so it wasn't a big deal. We agreed that he would signal me when he was at 50 bar (quarter of a tank), at which point one of us would set up an SMB and we would make our way to the surface. This is also how it went on the vast majority of our dives. However, on some occasions he would return to examining the surroundings after signaling me and a couple of times he would surface with about 10 bar, although I could have only gone from 80 to 70 bar during the whole ascent. He was the more experienced diver in our buddy pair and wasn't reckless or ignorant or anything like that (and I didn't feel that he put me in danger as we all dove in a group), so I didn't feel like lecturing him about it. I think he simply felt bad about holding me and in some cases the whole group back. I did stay somewhat more alert, though, and even checked his SPG towards the end of a couple of our dives.

So, as could be expected, he did practically run our of air on two occasions (that I know of). The one actual OOA situation I didn't not witness myself, though. It was a combined drift and reef hook dive, and the current at the site was picking up towards the end of the dive. I'm talking about the kind of current that will separate you beyond seeing distance if you unhook yourselves five seconds apart. I was caught in a ripping downdraft and was holding on for dear life, while he and part of the group somehow managed to avoid it. They didn't have it much easier, though, and I heard that he had run OOA and had to share during the safety stop. The downdraft didn't last long (thank god, as it was f'ing terrifying while it did), but I don't know what would have happened if he had been caught in it with me. At its peak it was so strong that I could not even crawl against it along the reef wall and if it had continued for longer and he had been beyond air sharing distance at that point, there would not have been much that I could have done.
The other occasion was under much better circumstances. We were finishing a rather uneventful dive and starting our safety stop at 5 m. He was acting rather erratically but insisted he was okay when I asked what was wrong. I decided to check his SPG, which showed he was below 5 bar. So I calmly offered him my octo, which he refused and insisted he was okay. However, his erratic behavior continued and ultimately he darted to the surface before we had finished our safety stop or even had managed to set up an SMB. After coming up I saw his SPG still showed something like 2 bar. He told me he had been having great trouble maintaining his buoyancy during the safety stop and had come up because of that. It did make sense and explained his behavior, but I seriously doubt his air would have been enough for a proper safety stop.

So, you don't necessarily have to be an inexperienced or a reckless diver, simple pride will do. And even when you have done hundreds of dives and can handle them pretty much with routine, an unexpected current or trouble with buoyancy may just be enough to push you over the limit, if you've already pushed close enough yourself. Also, as KenGordon noted below, in many cases this may very well be a greater risk to the safety of the buddy of the OOA diver than the diver him/herself. In the above story, apart from a couple of safety stops, we were always diving so close to others in the group that I did not feel that my safety was in real jeopardy due to my buddy's actions. In other circumstances it could have been.

Last edited:
You understand that in this scenario you, not your buddy, is most at risk. If you have a failure when he is at 10 bar where will you get gas?

Meanwhile...

The OP started this thread discussing being told stories for OOG divers ripping second stages from the mouth. It doesn't sound like that has happened much (at all? I'd need to reread to check).

So is that really a myth?

You understand that in this scenario you, not your buddy, is most at risk. If you have a failure when he is at 10 bar where will you get gas?

This is the essence of it, of course. However, as often is on liveaboard trips, we dove in groups and only separated to go up before the others. For me and my buddy this happened only on part of out dives (thanks to him constantly trying to push it to the limit, not that I still approve it). I certainly can imagine a situation where his low air could have been a risk to my safety, and would have confronted him about it more forcefully had we been diving separate from the others. Fortunately, on this trip I feel my safety was hardly even theoretically jeopardized due to his behavior. Surely it was when we got separated, but that was not his fault and even then I ultimately located other divers and was still okay. At other times there was always someone else nearby. That of course does not make your point any less valid.

Edit: After reading my original post I realized I maybe got a bit carried away with dramatizing the story, which does give a wrong impression of both myself and my buddy. To be fair he did surface with 30-50 bar air left on most of the dives, just as we agreed. The low on air situations were a couple of exceptions, after each of which we had a discussion about it. I toned my story down a bit :) . There's little doubt that he could have had a different attitude towards our safety, though.

As for the OP, I believe my post has the details (s)he requested (stories about OOA divers and the reasons behind the situation evolving to that). But I must say I can't recall hearing about a regulator being ripped out of the mouth of someone I have met myself. Of course many of us have heard stories and there are even some videos around.

Last edited:
Interesting, long, thread. I have never run out of gas, nor have any of my buddies, though some I didn't know have tried. Short of catastrophic equipment failure or, perhaps entanglement, I can't fathom why a diver would go OOA.

About 2 years ago, diving the Castor from Boynton Beach, a diver from the same boat went OOA at depth. Though I did not witness the event, it was described to me in detail. Apparently he did try to rip the regulator from of one of his two buddies but failed. The 2nd buddy offered his 2nd, which was initially accepted. Unfortunately, he panicked and unsuccessfully bolted for the surface without the reg. He went unresponsive and was promptly brought to the surface by the 2nd buddy. He was successfully resuscitated on the boat and made a full recovery after a short hospitalization. He was very lucky for the skilled buddy he had that day and for the prompt, appropriate care he received on the boat

My instabuddy ran out of air because he was an idiot and refused to keep tabs on his air during the dive. I guestimated his air use against mine so when he refused to go to the boat I was ready to donate/ascend since we were right next to the boat. Once we hit the surface I made sure he was ok then I explained to him I was done diving with him and he would have to ask the captain to figure out if he was allowed to dive again and find another buddy for him. I then went back down to burn the last 1K out of my tank solo.

My instabuddy ran out of air because he was an idiot and refused to keep tabs on his air during the dive. I guestimated his air use against mine so when he refused to go to the boat I was ready to donate/ascend since we were right next to the boat. Once we hit the surface I made sure he was ok then I explained to him I was done diving with him and he would have to ask the captain to figure out if he was allowed to dive again and find another buddy for him. I then went back down to burn the last 1K out of my tank solo.
That's one thing I must stress (sorry it's a bit off topic) not everybody can dive with anybody. And it's perfectly fine to tell someone you can't dive with them I've done it before. Don't put yourself in danger because you're afraid to hurt someone's feelings.

I will dive with most people once however if you are diving with me and run out of air I expect on of two things to have happen either 1 we find and fix the mechanical failure that led to your OOA situation then we will dive again or 2 if the OOA was caused by a wetware failure between your ears (ie Cranial-Rectal entanglement) then after we get you to the surface and out of danger WE wont be diving together until you demonstrate that you have gotten yourself sorted out by diving successfully with other buddies.

I am a good diver because have had the change to dive with some people who shared a lot of knowledge with me. I enjoy sharing what I have learned with others and know especially with new divers that there will be a few kinks to work out running out of air isnt one I am willing to tolerate or work with.

Last edited:
Ironically after starting this thread, someone on the dive boat I was diving off this weekend ran out of air. I was already back on the boat when it happened and don't have many details. Thankfully she made it to the surface and was ok once we got her back on the boat. It was a relatively deep dive (I registered at 96 feet max).

I don't know if an air-share was attempted or not.

I dove once together with my ex-instructor and some of his OW students. Suddenly, the instructor gave OOA signal to one of the students. The guy signaled OK, than turned his back and swam to see some fish or crabs or whatever. Back on shore, the instructor asked the student if he knows what the meaning of the signal he gave under the water is. The student acknowledged: “is the OOA signal”. The instructor looked puzzled: “ So you know what signal means. Why didn’t offer me your octo?” The student looked more puzzled: “ I thought you’re an instructor and you know how to deal with this by yourself” :eek:

I have a dive buddy that told me the most harrowing story i think I've ever heard. It involved a no light penetration of a wreck about 22m deep -his dive buddy lost buoyancy and the line in a restaurant on board a large cruse ship and tumbled out of control bouncing off tables and counters (wreck on side) etc till he bottomed out at 36m in the half metre of silt and debris. The diver was in total panic mode and tried to ascend but hit a door or panel and thought he was trapped . He then grabbed the panel and tried to wrench it free to escape -of course that acted like a large bellows and made the whole area ink black . My dive buddy waited for a long time for him to ascend but no diver came -He figured he must have exited at the bottom so he took his spare finger pool tied it off and dropped it down in the depths. he then exited on the line and swam around to the other side to see if he'd come out the bottom. no diver.

He swam back again and tried to find him no bubbles or any signs- he surfaced and told the boat crew what had happened an then went back down and searched again until he had to ascend due to lack of air., Just as he's was asking the boat crew to radio for a lost diver call the diver popped up about 100m away with no gear

What happened was after he was trying to escape wrenching the panel he thought had trapped him he swam around blind until he went through a door and into another room and got further disoriented. After some time he realised what had happen and made what i think would be a counter -intuitive decision to go back into that inky black silted room and try again, this time he found the dropped spool line and followed it back up . He knew he's was dangerously LOA and saw some ambient light above him.
He made a bee line for it and tried to get through small port hole (instead of following the main line again which took you down and across before exiting) But to his horror he couldn't get through with his gear on. After several goes he suddenly felt the reg tighten and knew thats was it! He dropped his gear on literally the last breath of the tank and squeezed through port hole to do a 18m OOA ascent to the surface

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom