Have You (or Your Buddy) Ever Run Out Of Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious,

I can't really tell are you being sarcastic or serious? I've seen DM's and instructors suck down air like a jet intake. I really hope you are just making a point because that is some flawed logic if not. Being certified doesn't mean ****. :wink:
Absolutely dripping with sarcasm. Certification means nothing. I've seen people with advanced certifications running low on gas because the damned fools think they need not closely monitor their SPGs because they know with exactitude what their air consumption is . It's almost a 'look ma no hands' arrogance. Just because a very experienced diver can predict what their remaining gas is 99 times out of a hundred does not mean they can ignore their gas pressure gauge for extended periods. Then there are the idiots who lose track of time and place while trying to compose the perfect shot.

But why go on. Sorry if the sarcasm, and a certain level of anger, was not as evident I intended.

Absolutely dripping with sarcasm. Certification means nothing. I've seen people with advanced certifications running low on gas because the damned fools think they need not closely monitor their SPGs because they know with exactitude what their air consumption is . It's almost a 'look ma no hands' arrogance. Just because a very experienced diver can predict what their remaining gas is 99 times out of a hundred does not mean they can ignore their gas pressure gauge for extended periods. Then there are the idiots who lose track of time and place while trying to compose the perfect shot.

But why go on. Sorry if the sarcasm, and a certain level of anger, was not as evident I intended.

All is well I enjoyed the read lol.

I am pretty sure that you are right.

It is kinda sad that his plan/dream was the get his DM cert (he had rescue at the time of this) and go work in the Yucatan as a guide.

That is kind of concerning. I would either pick a different career path or start actually caring if I were him. He will never survive in the Yucatan at this rate. Wow and he even had rescue. This is a fine example complacency attempting to kill you.

The sites I dive don't allow for that kind of arrogance. The first dive you start thinking you are god is the last dive you will do, in most cases.

I fully understand an equipment malfunction. I cant understand how someone could be so dumb as to let their tank run out in either situation.

Well, you are young or naïve, possibly both. Being old and jaded, I rarely lift an eyebrow now when hearing such news.

I don't know if it is sarcasm if you just state the obvious facts. If I was being sarcastic I might praise their level of certification, and applaud their creative use of gas and time management. Of course, I doubt if many read Swift these days...

OOA is not a big problem if it is not a surprise, otherwise it depends upon how you react to surprises.

Bob

Well, you are young or naïve, possibly both. Being old and jaded, I rarely lift an eyebrow now when hearing such news.

I don't know if it is sarcasm if you just state the obvious facts. If I was being sarcastic I might praise their level of certification, and applaud their creative use of gas and time management. Of course, I doubt if many read Swift these days...

OOA is not a big problem if it is not a surprise, otherwise it depends upon how you react to surprises.

Bob

The main thing that really concerns me about going OOA is sucking the tank dry and getting flash rust in it. Like you said as long as you know it's coming it's not a big deal.

Bob
Not read Swift? That's as unlikely as a certified diver being OOA!

The scientists in Laputa are working on the problem.

Not OOA, and didn't go LOA until I was on the surface, but I blame it on ScubaBoard :wink: After reading how so many SBers claim to never carry snorkels, and then noticing how annoying and useless my snorkel was on tropical boat dives, I stopped carrying one most of time. Until I did a shore dive in Newport, RI (with AfterDark). I'm not sure how much air I used swimming out, but I burned through plenty on the swim back in against a mild tide. The LDS claimed there was still 100psi left when I went for a refill, but it definitely got hard to breathe from the tank on the last 50 ft swimming in to the shallows. Lesson learned: I may not keep it attached to my mask strap, but I now take a snorkel on every dive. Why waste reserve air I might actually need someday?

I tried swimming around without my snorkel or reg in. It was pretty much impossible to not get salt water in the mouth. Made me quickly realize going without a snorkel is never going to be an option. I dont want to waste the little air I have in my tank puttering around on the surface.

I may not keep it attached to my mask strap, but I now take a snorkel on every dive.
I quit attaching a snorkel to my mask when I went to a LH/BO config since it interfered with LH donation, but I always carry one in my thigh pocket. Every dive.

I will dive from our house Monday without even my foldable snorkel. There will always be way more than enough air for a long return surface swim to use the reg. if the ocean is (or becomes) choppy enough that I need something in my mouth. My depths rarely exceed 30', so lots of air. On the days I pick to dive, it has never been choppy enough for snorkel use to save air. But on most other dives I do usually take the snorkel. You have to know the site to decide. There is always a slight current here in Atlantic NS going out during the ebbing tide. I have on several occasions found myself a bit further from shore than I would like. Still, no LOA problems or need to use the snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom