Have you heard of it? Hill Country

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8lakesdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Jeblis gave me the idea to ask you guys.

I heard of a quarry/lake in the hill country that allows diving after a scientific course. I guess, you basically weed the place, to help some endangered species that are there.

Has anyone been there done that? What did you think? My parents live near there and I was thinking about giving the class to my sister for her birthday?

thanks
:thumb:

You need to take the Scientific Diver Course in order to dive there. Here's their website...Aquarena Springs.

LarryL and BillP dive there regularly and can tell you more about it from personal experience.

and we'd love to have more to come help with the chores!

BTW - I normally spend only 10-15' weeding etc... and the rest of the tank is fun!

You can see some of our posts of the past by searching on "Aquarena"

Also - DurangoDiver is a local - as are a couple other buddie candidates!

Thanks to all

Aquarena sounds like a good time. I think we would enjoy it. Even to class stuff. I don't get down there often, but would love the oprtion.

HOPE to be there around Thanksgiving

Aquarena is a truly excellent dive, I try to make it out there at least once a week as it is only about 5 minutes from my house. We routinely see vis in excess of 50' (15m) and even though you are working, it's a ton of fun. If you are interested in taking the class, you can call Bridget at (512)-245-9769. Drop a post or PM to me when you're coming next so we might be able to hook up and dive there.

~Adam

durangodiver,
You say it is 5 mins from your house? Where exactly is this place? I would like to look into it, seems fun!
Ranz

Ranz:

It's on Aquarena Springs Dr. in San Marcos, tx. You take exit 207 from IH-35 South and go right at the light. Go through the next light and over the railroad tracks. Aquarena is right past the railroad tracks. To be able to dive there, you must take the scientific diver authorization course which runs the weekend. The typical schedule is 8-8 on Saturday and 8-11 on Sunday. If you'd like more info, PM me or give Bridget (Scientific diving supervisor) a call @ 512-245-9769. Oh, BTW: for non-students the cost is $195 unless you can get more than 6 people together then it is $160. The student price is $95. I'm there most weekends helping with the class now, so let me know if you're going to be coming down.

~Adam

I spoke with the main supervisor, I can't think of his name, in charge of the Scientific Divers Course in San Marcos. He told me that the course teaches the best buoyancy skills class you can find. I hope to take it soon, too. Will a 3 mil wetsuit be enough?

Diving- it's a gas!!:)

Mark:

I'm wearing a 5mm and a hood, but I've seen quite a few people there wearing 3mms. I think the vast majority is wearing a 5. You definitely want a hood.

~Adam

My wife and I both dive Aquarena Springs in 3mm ... very comfortable for us but I guess everyone is different ... the depths are shallow (typically less than 20ft for the significant majority of the dive) and so bottom time can be extensive (60 minutes or more easily) and that can lead to chills particularly upon exit during winter months. Give it a try ... it's well worth the cost of the class (which is informative and the buoyancy skills test is a hoot) ... you will be glad you did!!

Back
Top Bottom