Have you ever sucked the bottom out of your air tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been there, done that, at depth. Well at 8' anyway and I knew it was coming. Got my buddy's octo and took a breath just as my head cleared the surface. The one surprise was that, I expected some difficult breathes before I ran out, but NOOOO, it just stopped working.

MSilvia:
Nevermind... it was an inappropriate post, so I'll delete my response before a mod has to. :censored:
Yeah.......that was probably a good idea......

:D :D

Ran out once, screwed up my dive plan , wasnt experianced with the size tank i was using . Kinda glad it happened , a real eye opener , now i'm a safer diver . It was a REAL learning experiance that i will never let happen again.

This is my first post.

Please reply based on your experiences. I just had this happen 2 days ago. I am in my 4th class to be SCUBA certified. My instructor was having us swim in a 25 yard lap pool as far as we can go (in full gear) after he turned off our oxygen. We were to stand up when we were unable to swim any further with the air that we were had from our last breath from the regulator. My guess is that it was supposed to simulate what it was like to be out of air.

Well here is where it gets interesting. I swam the length of the pool - turned and started back. I guess I got about half way back to to the other side. Next thing I know I was awoken (best word I know) after being given mouth to mouth from the instructor from the side of the pool. I was still in the water. One of the other guys from the class was holding me afloat. I swam about 35 yards without air and then apparently passed out. Fortunately the regulator stayed in my mouth which prevented any water from entering my lungs. When I was pulled to the surface I was (as my wife described it) Dark Blue Gray from head to toe, limp and not breathing.

I am trying to figure out what happened to me. I don't understand why I did not surface. I think that I remember saying to myself that I need to go up. But it is all kind of hazy. I have been reading about shallow water blackout - that seems to explain it but I was underwater breathing through the regulater prior to him turning off the tank. So I can't understand how I could have hyperventilated and blew off so much C02.

I'm pretty scared to continue. Like I said this just happened the other day. Near as my wife and I can tell. I was without oxygen for about 5 minutes. It may have been 4 -- wer'e not sure. Fortunately I don't have any ill affects. I am extremely fortunate.

We were diving one of the shallow reefs in Cozumel. After about a half hour, with my gauges still reading 2750 psi, I suspected that they were malfunctioning. I continued the dive, and then suddenly found that it was getting harder to draw a breath, so I did a safety stop and surfaced.

Not my most shining moment... LOL

PAL....interesting. That sounds like a psychological thing, maybe you "forgot" you couldn't breathe underwater, since you had been doing so until moments earlier? But I digress..a doctor should answer that one.

BTW, just as a point of review, what was it you were breathing out of your scuba tanks?

Only once ....back in 1971. Early days of my diving experience. Was using a horse collar and old USD reg with a SeaView SPG and a wrist mounted capillary tube depth gauge. Was at around 125 feet and got engrossed trying to catch a small fish for my aquarium.

Went for a hit of air and my lips shot closed around the mouthpiece. Took a quick glance at the spg and the needle was on 100psi (or less). Looked over and signalled my buddy that I was OOA. He was also low and couldn't really spare any air. I gave him a salute and the "going up" hand signal and we headed for the surface on less than a full lung of air. As I ascended my spg began to register some supply again and I was able to pause for a moment and take in a partial breath. That said ...when I finally did break the surface I was gasping.

That was the first and last time I've ever breathed a tank lower than 500 psi, regardless of my depth.

'Slogger

Welcome to SB Pal - quite an experience...

Btw, you may want to go to our Intros forum here and post one so we can welcome you appropriately.

I think I'll suggest you start your own thread in the main Accidents forum here so your experience can gain better coverage and possible answers.

CO2 retention sounds like the cause, by different from Shallow Water BO, I think. More of a shallow breathing problem. Damned freaky...

PAL_7z:
This is my first post.

Please reply based on your experiences. I just had this happen 2 days ago. I am in my 4th class to be SCUBA certified. My instructor was having us swim in a 25 yard lap pool as far as we can go (in full gear) after he turned off our oxygen. We were to stand up when we were unable to swim any further with the air that we were had from our last breath from the regulator. My guess is that it was supposed to simulate what it was like to be out of air.

Well here is where it gets interesting. I swam the length of the pool - turned and started back. I guess I got about half way back to to the other side. Next thing I know I was awoken (best word I know) after being given mouth to mouth from the instructor from the side of the pool. I was still in the water. One of the other guys from the class was holding me afloat. I swam about 35 yards without air and then apparently passed out. Fortunately the regulator stayed in my mouth which prevented any water from entering my lungs. When I was pulled to the surface I was (as my wife described it) Dark Blue Gray from head to toe, limp and not breathing.

I am trying to figure out what happened to me. I don't understand why I did not surface. I think that I remember saying to myself that I need to go up. But it is all kind of hazy. I have been reading about shallow water blackout - that seems to explain it but I was underwater breathing through the regulater prior to him turning off the tank. So I can't understand how I could have hyperventilated and blew off so much C02.

I'm pretty scared to continue. Like I said this just happened the other day. Near as my wife and I can tell. I was without oxygen for about 5 minutes. It may have been 4 -- wer'e not sure. Fortunately I don't have any ill affects. I am extremely fortunate.

Dude.... You must have scared the crap out of EVERYONE!! Glad you made it. Welcome to Scuba Board!

Back
Top Bottom