Have torch light. Want to attach bolt snap. Why not use metal ring to attach it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 issues; all personal preference for your type of diving.

Caveline can be tightened so you only have 1 pivot between the boltsnap and your light. A metal split ring creates 2 pivots on either side of the ring.
If you keep your light attached to a strap or D-ring, then these pivots can become an annoyance, or it could allow for easier positioning of your light.

I personally find it an annoyance. Sometimes the pivots lock up in a twist and I have to flick my wrist to get the light to angle a certain way. With caveline, it's easier to control. When you have the light unclipped, the ring+boltsnap can also create a noisy and annoying dangly that clinks with your light.

The second issue is safety. Should your light become entrapped, caveline gives you the ability to cut away. In an open water environment this isn't really an issue at all. You still have your boltsnap to release. In a cave or wreck however, you may not be able to reach and release your boltsnap, which is why caveline is recommended in this situation.

If you do go with metal, you should get quality stainless steel. A lot of hardware stores sell just plain steel, but you can still find stainless steel there as well. It will generally be labeled and be the more expensive version on the shelf.
If you go with caveline, #24 or #20 will do. Finely file down you light's lanyard hole if it doesn't come with slightly round corner already. This will keep your caveline from tearing prematurely. I've found that in these types of applications, you rarely have to replace caveline due to wear.

Tutorial on how to properly tie caveline:
- add a dab of aquaseal, neoprene cement, or gorilla glue and your knot is definitely not coming undone.
http://www.wreckandcave.co.uk/2006/11/11/how-to-tie-the-perfect-boltsnap/

FWIW, I wouldn't put stainless steel directly on aluminum where motion and abrasion can occur. Although the light is anodized, it's possible that the SS ring could wear down the anodizing and get to the bare aluminum below, eventually causing some galvanic corrosion. Probably not a high risk of this happening bad enough to cause serious problems, but it could be an annoyance, especially if you're not diligent in rinsing and drying it after a dive.

This is exactly what I was thinking to use.

Let us know if you've found one that doesn't rust.... :)
Now that I think about it, mine are probably nickel plated. (not shiny) Same one going on 4 years - I almost never rinse my lights either. Just twisted it open easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom