Have a question about one reg breathing easier than another...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tnflyfisher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am in the market for a reg and about to buy a Delta IV FDX10. After posting in forums I am getting numerous responses from others about such and such reg being able to breath better than the Delta. What is confusing me is when I try and compare WOB results the Delta is .87 and every other reg mentioned seems to be higher. Is this just "opinion" that other regs are easier breathers or is there really more to it than just WOB numbers? I understand diaphram/Piston sealed/unsealed and a lot has to do with second stages but are these regs REALLY able to breath better than the Delta IV? Any help would be appreciated.

Regs that I have been considering and were told are easier breathers or "will out-breathe the Oceanic" include:

Atomic Z2
Zeagle Envoy/Deluxe
Apeks XTX50

The figures are correct but people convince themselves that what they like is best.
So their favorite brand tends to be better than anything else in their opinion. The machines that test the regs don't lie particularly when they are conducted by a neutral third party.
Now if someone said that their choice was based on being able to get parts or what regs were easier to service I'd be more interested.

The fact is unless you service your regs yourself Oceanic's customer service is second to none and they have fairly good dealer coverage worldwide so that is even something in their favor.

Then there is the MAP/MARP issue I won't purchase brands that have a MARP policy they don't allow the market to set fair pricing and keep pricing artificially high. MAP on the other hand is just advertized price and allows the dealer to sell at discount.

All of those regulators are good regs but it comes down to this are you going to be at 190ft breathing off those reg. The difference in the regulator breathing is so small you would need a machine to tell, ten years ago that was not true. RAWalker is right service is the most import thing.

Back in the day the Mid-west dealer force the MSRP because their prices where higher then spots like California and Florida were they would sell more equipment in a week the somebody in the mid-west would in 6 months. You get a better deal buying in volume then ones and twos.

All of those regulators are good regs but it comes down to this are you going to be at 190ft breathing off those reg. The difference in the regulator breathing is so small you would need a machine to tell, ten years ago that was not true. RAWalker is right service is the most import thing.

Back in the day the Mid-west dealer force the MSRP because their prices where higher then spots like California and Florida were they would sell more equipment in a week the somebody in the mid-west would in 6 months. You get a better deal buying in volume then ones and twos.

If the difference is so minimal how are these claims being made? I am seeing this with preliminary reports about the EOS being one of the best breathing regs to date and clearly upstaging everyone else including the DELTA. If all of these differences are not noticable how are some divers able to distinguish notable differences while others are not? I just want a easy breathing reg and I feel comfortable the DELTA seems to be a good balance between performance, quality, and value. I'm sure it will be more than enough reg for my diving. Actually, wish I had been looking a bit earlier and I would have just bought an Alpha 8 with CDX5 from ST, was only $144. Now I have my mind set on the Delta though.

I have both the Delta 4 and the EOS. Depending on the price difference between the two for you, if it's not a lot, I would get the EOS. The swivel makes a big difference (at least to me) in comfort and the Delta 4 is no longer available with a swivel.

If the difference is so minimal how are these claims being made? I am seeing this with preliminary reports about the EOS being one of the best breathing regs to date and clearly upstaging everyone else including the DELTA. If all of these differences are not noticable how are some divers able to distinguish notable differences while others are not? I just want a easy breathing reg and I feel comfortable the DELTA seems to be a good balance between performance, quality, and value. I'm sure it will be more than enough reg for my diving. Actually, wish I had been looking a bit earlier and I would have just bought an Alpha 8 with CDX5 from ST, was only $144. Now I have my mind set on the Delta though.

You've answered your own question. The difference between similar regulators is so minimal that it takes a machine to tell the difference; a human operator cannot tell. This means that those who told you that their reg is better breathing are not necessarily lying, but they are passing off personal preference as fact. However, there are likely other comfort factors, such as mouthpiece fit or hose routing, that are influencing their picks as well. Brand loyalty also tends to figure in.

The Delta is a pretty sweet reg. I have nothing but praise for it. At the end of the day, though, make sure that you try out a variety of different regulators so that you can tell which one "fits" you best. That is much more important than trying to decide solely based upon similar WOB results. Comfort is what will ultimately determine whether you consider your pick to be a joy or a pain.

Also, as has been pointed out, definitely consider your ability to get whatever reg you purchase serviced locally. Good luck

Jason

I have both the Delta 4 and the EOS. Depending on the price difference between the two for you, if it's not a lot, I would get the EOS. The swivel makes a big difference (at least to me) in comfort and the Delta 4 is no longer available with a swivel.

I found a brand new Delta IV with swivel $340 vs. $600 for the EOS. I think I am going with the Delta. I like the idea of the swivel as well since I am only doing rec diving right now. I have heard that is the same as Atomic but at a fraction of the price. It seems like a good reg choice at this price point.

The point is that aside from how it fits in your mouth and weight it is very hard to tell the different breathing on 1 reg to another. If the human test was done blind with the same mouth piece and the weight of the reg held out so a diver couldn't tell then most divers wouldn't be able to guess one from another. Even funnier is if you told them the regs were x or y brand they would tell you the best was the brand they favor and be surprise after the reveal.
It is features like weight, swivels, hoses and mouth pieces that create the bigger differences among the top regs and in many of these you can customize it to what you want.
Like another in this thread I got my Delta 4 regs new on sale with the swivel hoses.
I've since added a long hose(with the swivel) on one of them. But the point is that at the price I paid it is in the group of regs that has breathing performance beyond what can be differenciated without a machine to measure it.

Thank you RAWalker.

tnflyfisher If you could tell the difference in .02 or .1 in WOB you should be able pick a regulator by breathing on it and not asking people opinion. Now asking opinion on Customer Service, serviceability and availability of parts that a different matter.

I found a brand new Delta IV with swivel $340 vs. $600 for the EOS. I think I am going with the Delta. I like the idea of the swivel as well since I am only doing rec diving right now. I have heard that is the same as Atomic but at a fraction of the price. It seems like a good reg choice at this price point.

Does this have the FDX-10 first stage? If so, that's a great deal.

I have 3 Delta IVs and they are fantastic regulators. Also, as was mentioned earlier, Oceanic service is the best in the industry.

Back
Top Bottom