Hausing thickness - HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gozon

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone
Im going to make hausing with alluminium alloy for my Canon 300D. Im trying to find out what thickness should I choose for walls. The shape and size will be similar with hausing like Subal, Sea&Sea. How thick are walls in proffesional hausings?

Beast Regards & good shooting
Martin

Pretty thick, say 8 or 9mm, as you need to bear in mind that you need to machine an o-ring groove into the thickness with a couple of mm either side too. They are often machined out though to reduce the overall weight.

If you're really going to machine your own housing, you need to draw up a design & perform a stress analysis to make sure the structure is strong enough for the maximum depth that you require. To machine something without analysis is very risky I think.

The housings also have curved corners to better handle the pressure; butting and welding aluminum will have very different strength characteristics. The other problem will be ports and how they are attached to the housing.

There are very different engineering philosophies in housings.

Ikelite - mostly clear plastic – flat back sits in body (new D70 style)
Sea & Sea- Case aluminum and opaque plastic - clam shell
Aquatica- Cast and machined aluminum – clam shell
Subal- CNC cut aluminum – clam shell

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom