Hatenberger or Greenforce?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spurtill

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to buy an umbilical torch. I do fairly standard diving 35-50m range in typical Irish/British conditions.

At the moment i am trying to decide between the Greenforce Arrow 12 50W HID http://www.directdivegear.com/acatalog/Greenforce_Torches.html
And the Hartenberger Maxi Wreck http://www.hartenberger.de/english/e_ha-000.html

the green force ha s aburntime of 3 hours, but looks damn big! The hartenberger i 've heard is brighter and its smaller (the greenforce actually looks longer than your tank) but only has a burn time of an hour.

Both cost 600 euros (roughly 600 dollars)

Anyomne tired each of these?? Either of them?? Or can think of a torch in a similar price range that out performs them???

The first is too big and the 2nd has inadequate burntime. Try looking at Sartek, Dive Rite, Nite Rider HID, or if you have a ton of money, a Halcyon Helios. All provide around 4hrs burntime for 10w HID in a small, magageable package. :) ZG

Friend of mine just got the Diverite 10 watt HID on the slimline cannister. Retail is $625 US. This is the smallest light I have seen yet. An all around wonderful piece of kit.

If size doesn't matter. get it with Wreck1 cannister, it's a bit bigger but not unmanageable. Retail is $510 US.

DPV

Personally I only have a very limited experience with the Green Firce toeches and I like them.

I know a lot of Technical divers in the Netherlands that swear by the, with regards to Hartenberger, this is the first time I had heard of them.

Paul

Hi

One thing worth taking into account is the availability of dealers, etc. Your profile doesn't say where you are but outside mainland Europe I don't think there are ant Hartenberger distributors which means that if anything goes wrong it's back to Germany and, whilst their build quality is typical germanic standards, I've heard that their customer service definately isn't.

Having said that - nothing would make me part with my Hartenberger Compact Maxi.

I'm based in Ireland, so dealers won't really be a problem. (Hate saying things like that because such comments always come back to bite you :))

They might be as, as far as I know, there aren't any Hartenberger dealers there (same as UK) so you'll have to rely on Germany. Hence my pointer about their customer service.

By the way, have you considered JMD? Their umbilicals are excellent and a lot cheaper than Hartenberger.

Ian

Yep, looked at the JMD and was tempted, but I had a cheap umbilical before and left the charging cap off as i grabbed the torch in the wee hours of the morning to go diving. Stupid but i know i'm likely to do the same again. So i'd like something that i either have to take apart totally to charge or that does not have to be opened to charge to try and avoid the same problem.

JMD doesn't lool like its going to fit nice ansd neat between the cylinders either like most of the umbilicals will, minor point but still.

The Solly looks nice but the RRP is 750 which is starting to go a little higher than i want to go.

Those catches at the side look like they are begging to be flicked open under the water everytime they brush off something. Are they a easily opened as they look?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom