UTD Press Release: Vision Lighting System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unified Team Diving

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
PRESS RELEASE: SEPTEMBER 06, 2011

UTD Equipment is proud to announce the new UTD Signature Series Vision Lighting System
– the smallest and brightest underwater LED lighting.

The Narrow Beam Primary Dive Light

The Wide Beam Underwater Video Light

For more information, images and video please visit UTD Equipment - +1 206 321-0870 [email]sales@utdequipment.com[/email]

UTD’s research and development team has spent the past year working closely with Vision X, one of the worlds premier LED lightingcompanies, to develop and test a new underwater lighting system. Vision X has developed lights for major mining companies, military applications, off-road vehicles, and NASA. Building upon that knowledge and robust technology, UTD and Vision X developed a full range of lighting including a series of primary and video lights that integrate into the UTD/DIR style of diving.

The Primary LED lighting system comes with either a single or double self-contained LED head with a 10-degree spot beam. The heads can be mounted either on a standard or soft handled Goodman style handle. All LED heads are installed with a wet-plug-able E/Ocord. This facilitates the LED Head(s) to be used with any battery canister with an E/O cord and an output voltage between 9V-50V.

The 60-degree wide-angle Video LED lighting system is modular – use one head, or mount two, four, six, eight, or more heads to anUltra Light Arm or other arm system using standard ball adapters. UTD’s 8.5 amp battery will drive four video heads for over two and a half hours.

UTD has a selection of battery canisters from 5 amp to 20 amp based on your individual needs. For the UTD Signature Series VisionLighting System, the preferred choice is the UTD Dual Voltage 8.5 Amp Battery Canister. This battery canister works perfectly for the Primary or Video LED Light heads, and the dual voltage switch also acts as a temperature controller for the UTD Solar heating panel. This is a real bonus when building your lighting and heating system.

UTD Equipment has packaged several Signature Series Vision Lighting Systems for both primary and video lights:

UTD Signature Series Vision Explorer Primary Light System

Designed for the explorer in you, this primary lighting system is a narrow-beam fixed-focus LED that is brighter than a 21 HID. The lamp has over 10 hours burn time and is lightweight, small, compact, and robust, making it easy to use in and out of the water and very easy for travel. It has a built-in E/O wet-plug-able cable that allows for easy interchangeability between video heads, heating system, or even switching to a backup LED head. It also allows for easy upgrade to the dual LED head system at a later date. It is impact resistant and will provide a lifetime of service. The total system consists of a single primary Vision LED light head with a spot beam, soft style Goodman handle, dual voltage 8.5 amp battery canister, and charger. It comes charged and ready to dive.

Features and Benefits
  • Single 900 lum LED Head with a 10 degree narrow beam spot - brighter than a 21w HID
  • Small and low profile LED head on soft handle Goodman
  • Can be upgrade to standard Goodman handle
  • LED head comfortably fits in dry suit pocket when shooting video or as a backup.
  • LED head and Battery Canister equipped with wet-plug-able E/O cord for easy interchangeability to Video LED Head, a backup primary LED, heating systems, and/or a teammate’s light head or battery
  • Sealed Dual Voltage 8.5 amp li-Po battery canister
  • Provides 10 hours of burn-time for your LED light
  • Small, compact and lightweight with minimum penetrations
  • Charged through the E/O cord to reduce flooding risk
  • Can be used with UTD Solar heating pad providing 4 hours of heat
  • Light, handle, battery, and charger weighs 4.1lbs/1.85kg – easy to travel with
  • CE Marked and approved
  • Lifetime warranty on workmanship / 90 days on E/O cord and cables

For more information, images and video please visit UTD Equipment - +1 206 321-0870 [email]sales@utdequipment.com[/email]

UTD Signature Series Vision Expedition Primary Light System

Designed for the diver who is looking for extensive light power for his/her expedition, this primary lighting system is a pair of narrow beamed fixed focus LED's that together are brighter than a 35 HID. The lamps have 5 hours burn-time, yet are small and compact enough to fit on a standard Goodman style handle. They have a built-in E/O wet-plug-able cable on each LED head that is connected to a Y-Splitter connector. This allows for easy interchangeability between a video system, heating system, or even a backup single LED head. The lamps are impact resistant and will provide a lifetime of service. The total system consists of a two primary vision LED light heads with spot beam, a standard Goodman handle, a dual voltage 8.5 amp battery canister and charger. It comes charged and ready for action.

Features and Benefits
  • Dual 900 lum LED Heads with a 10 degree narrow beam spots – brighter than a 35w HID
  • Small and low profile LED Heads mounted on a standard handle Goodman
  • LED heads and battery canister come with wet-plug-able E/O cord and Y-Splitter for easy interchangeability to Video LED Heads, a backup primary LED, heating systems, and even teammate’s light heads or batteries
  • Sealed Dual Voltage 8.5 amp battery canister
  • Provides over 5 hours of burn time when both heads are running
  • Can be used with UTD Solar heating pad providing 4 hours of heat
  • 4.8lbs/2.15kg total weight including charger – easy to travel with
  • CE Marked and approved

UTD Signature Series Vision Video Light System

Designed for the videographer or photographer who is looking for a superior lighting system that provides a wide even coverage of 6000k light, this video lighting system consists of two (2) 60-degree wide beamed fixed focus LED's that are as bright as a 50 HID, have 5 hours of burn-time, yet are small and compact enough to fit on a point and shoot style camera without weighting it down. It has a built-in E/O wet-plugable cable on each LED head that is connected to a Y-Splitter connector, allowing for easy interchangeability between a primary LED head, heating system, or even to a dual LED primary system. The lamps are impact resistant and will provide a lifetime of service. The total system consists of a two video LED light heads mounted on standard ultra light arm balls, a dual voltage 8.5 amp battery canister, and charger. It comes charged and ready to shoot.

Features and Benefits
  • Dual 900 lum LED Heads with 60 degree wide angle beams, as bright as a 50w HID
  • Small and low profile LED Heads mounted on a standard ultra light arm ball for easy attachment to any video/camera light arms or video/camera housing
  • Wide angle, even coverage light at 6000k color temperature
  • LED heads and battery canister come with wet-plug-able E/O cords and Y-Splitter for easy interchangeability to a backup primary LED, heating systems, and even teammate’s light heads or batteries
  • Sealed Dual Voltage 8.5 amp battery canister
  • Provides over 5 hours of light when both heads are running
  • Can be used with UTD Solar heating pad, providing 4 hours of heat
  • 5.2lbs/2.45kg total weight including charger - easy to travel with
  • CE Marked and Approved

Primary LED Light Head

Features and Benefits
  • Extremely robust, lightweight and small 900 Lum LED head.
  • 3.25” x 2.44” x 2.05” / 0.50 lbs – Complete with bulb and ballast
  • 10 degree narrow spot fixed focus beam for easy communication and great for lighting your path
  • Small size ensures easy in-water use, especially when mounted on diver’s hand in Goodman style
  • Light weight, compact, and almost indestructible – great for expeditions, diving adventures and travel
  • Can be driven by any battery between 9 volts and 50 volts, drawing only 0.85 amps
  • Easy mount kit available for mounting to helmets, scooter/dpv's, ROV's, etc.
  • Bulb lifespan is 50,000+ hours - essentially unlimited
  • Can be used on the surface and/or underwater to 600'/180m – heat is not an issue out of the water
  • Single LED Head Primary Light
  • Can be mounted on a standard Goodman handle or on a soft strap Goodman handle
  • Narrow beam, brighter than a 21 watt HID
  • 10 hours of burn-time on the UTD Dual Voltage 8.5 amp battery canister
  • Dual LED heads - Primary Light
  • Mounted on a standard Goodman handle
  • Brighter than a 35 watt HID with a narrow beam
  • 5 hours burn-time on the UTD 8.5 amp battery canister.
  • All heads come with a standard with a 18"/45cm E/O wet plug-able cord (pigtail), for easy swapping of batteries, light heads and interchangeability. Switch easily between heating, lighting, a Video LED head, a backup LED primary head and even your teammate’s battery
  • Patented # D610,725 S / CE Certified
  • Lifetime warranty on manufacturing and 90 days on cables and cords

Video LED Light Head

Features and Benefits
  • Extremely robust, lightweight and small 900 Lum LED head.
  • 3.25”/8.2cm x 2.44”/6.2cm x 2.05”/5.2cm / 0.50 lbs/0.23 kgs - Complete with bulb and ballast
  • 60 degree wide angle fixed focus Beam for even, smooth light, great for lighting your path
  • LED has a 6000k color temperature for natural color and lighting (normal daylight color is 5600K)
  • Small size ensures easy in-water use especially when mounted on video light arms
  • Light weight, compact and almost indestructible, great for expeditions, diving adventures and travel
  • Can be driven by any battery between 9 volts and 50 volts, drawing only 0.85 amps
  • Easy mount kit available for mounting to video arms, divers, helmets, scooter/dpv's, ROV's and so on
  • Bulb lifespan is 50,000+ hours - essentially unlimited
  • Can be used on the surface and/or underwater to 600'/180m – heat is not an issue out of the water
  • Single LED Head Video Light
  • Mounted on a single ultra light ball.
  • Comes standard with a 18"/45cm E/O wet plug-able pig-tale
  • As bright as the 50 watt HID head, with a wide beam
  • 10 hours of burn-time on the UTD dual-voltage 8.5 amp battery canister.
  • Dual LED heads - Video Lights
  • Each head is mounted on an ultra light arm ball
  • Comes standard with an 18"/45cm E/O wet plug-able pig-tale and a Y-Connector
  • As bright than a dual 50 watt HID system
  • 5 hours burn-time on the UTD 8.5 amp battery canister.
  • All heads come standard with a 18"/45cm E/O wet plug-able cord (pigtail), for easy swapping of batteries, light heads and interchangeability. Switch easily between heating, lighting, a Primary LED head and even your teammate’s battery
  • Patented # D610,725 S / CE Certified
  • Lifetime warranty on manufacturing and 90 days on cables and cords

Dual Voltage 8.5amp LiPo Battery Canister

Features and Benefits
  • Dual voltage for easy temperature control on the UTD Solar Heating Pad - 16.0v or 11.2v
  • Either voltage will power the Vision LED Light heads and the Solar Heating System
  • Provides 10 hours of light on single LED head
  • Provides 4 hours of heat at full power
  • Comes standard with an easy to install hip mounting system
  • E/O wet plug-able cord for easy exchange between primary and video LED's or heating systems – will also power HID light heads if necessary
  • Sealed Li-Po battery canister for more power from smaller canister and less weight.
  • Sealed canister to reduce risk of user error and flooding. Charged through the E/O wet-plug-able cable
  • Easy to reach magnetic switching on bottom of canister
  • Max depth rated to 600'/180m
  • CE Marked and Approved

8.5 amp Dual Voltage Li-Po Canister Specifications
  • A 8.5 Ah Li-Po battery providing 136 watt/hrs of power
  • Completely sealed canister providing protection from water intrusion due to user interaction or cut cord
  • No switch boot or other O-ring failure points – charges through the E/O wet-plug-able cord
  • Dry weight 3.2 lbs (1.45kg), in-water 1 lb (0.45 kg) negative
  • Recharge time from complete discharge is 4 hours
  • Universal input charger – US input cord provided, UK and European input cord available
  • Canister machined from solid aluminum – marine grade powder-coat finish
  • 5.75"(14.6 cm) Length, 3.25"(8.2 cm) Diameter
  • Comes standard with a 32" (81.28cm) E/O Cord 

Is it not unusual for a training agency to be directly involved with equipment manufacturers because of some potential for conflict of interest?

Steve, then the same question applies to TDI, ANDI, IANTD and now PADI regarding Rebreathers. Please elaborate & explicate your query further in another thread . . .otherwise stop your trolling/hijacking:shakehead:

I asked an honest question and am not trolling -- since I am a real person and a few people know me -- and my post was not intended as a hijack; just wanted a real response; which at last glance is what this section of the site is for: direct responses from the folks in the know at specific agencies.

For the record, my post is not intended as a criticism either... I am just really curious about a press-release for a light from a certifying agency.

Cannot speak for ANY agency including TDI but I do know that TDI/SDI/ERDI has been very careful over the years to avoid any association and especially any direct endorsement of a specific manufacturer or product. We all know that some agencies obviously have different business models, but I have always wondered what the thinking behind this move was because as a Marketing/PR/Corporate Communications consultant -- with a fair number of years experience -- my professional advice would always differ. The reason of course is store-owner relations... among other issues.

Again, do not know much about any other agency and direct recommendations regarding rebreathers, but I do not believe that TDI has earned a cent from the sale of any unit... their business model is focused on a few bucks per certification.

The agency HAS worked closely to bring attention to units that met specific standards and / or which filled. "gaps" in the market (The KISS GEM for example), but the agency is pretty clearly distanced from actual sales.

Last edited:
Simple answer then Steve (sans the rhetoric of above), IMO; UTD trains a lot of divers in the technical/overhead market, and they also happen to field equipment of their design, in working collaboration with other vendors, that they feel works best in support of that market.

Your objection/rebuttal?

Last edited:
No objection or rebuttal. I am not interested in a pissing contest and this is not worth the effort in any case. I asked a simple question -- ill-phrased and difficult to understand apparently -- but simple and straightforward, and without guile. My question was informed by more than an afternoon's experience in corporate communications and marketing. There was no rhetoric intended because I have no desire to win ANYONE over. However, I was interested in the thinking behind a policy that -- based on first-hand, primary data gathered using commonly available metrics -- would probably piss off most retailers who might be thinking of switching to UTD.

I mean, what to you say to a shop that's had success with a COMPETITIVE brand of light? Are ALL the other brands no good? Is that your stance or is that an agency policy?

"Squash a troll?" Really. Is that not the reaction of a child? I am disappointed that asking a question in the UTD section of Scubaboard results in being insulted.

No objection or rebuttal. I am not interested in a pissing contest and this is not worth the effort in any case. I asked a simple question -- ill-phrased and difficult to understand apparently -- but simple and straightforward, and without guile. My question was informed by more than an afternoon's experience in corporate communications and marketing. There was no rhetoric intended because I have no desire to win ANYONE over. However, I was interested in the thinking behind a policy that -- based on first-hand, primary data gathered using commonly available metrics -- would probably piss off most retailers who might be thinking of switching to UTD.

I mean, what to you say to a shop that's had success with a COMPETITIVE brand of light? Are ALL the other brands no good? Is that your stance or is that an agency policy?

"Squash a troll?" Really. Is that not the reaction of a child?
The more you try to "spin-doctor" & re-qualify your posts Steve, the more you put your foot in your mouth.

IMO, after owning two 10W HID's and two LED Primary Lights (Halcyon & Dive Rite models), the UTD system is the system which better suits my type of diving (Open Circuit; tropical wreck/technical). The modular configurablility, compactness, light weight and robust design are its selling points for me . . . (I know because I examined the system first hand at UTD Headquarters). That's my anecdotal experience and where I stand. . .

Any other rhetoric Steve?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom