Hasselblad and Ultima Digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill.

It’s probably me, but can you define “relatively inexpensive” for me. LOL

Iain Middlebrook

My guess is that if there were a Hasselblad labeled housing available today from Hasselblad with the quality of the ones that you are renting it would be at least $15K or more. (half the price of the camera that is going in it). The housings that Peter is selling are less than the equivalent Seacam housings at $8K. $8K is "relatively inexpensive" to me compared to the price of the camera. IN any case, I wonder if there is a EWA bag for the Hasselblad.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have one, but it still isn't clear that larger sensor necessarily make better pictures and in fact the DXO guys don't rate the Hasselblad very highly even compared to a Nikon D3 in terms of sensor response. In terms of shooting film, where the grain structure was independent of the film size, larger negatives make enormous sense, and I still shoot 4x5 B&W film for some flower work, and not only to get movements. In the electronic age, there are all sorts of compromises to be made.

On a different front, everyone is saying that professionals should be using this but what is David Doubilet shooting? He is arguably the "best" of the UW artists shooting out there now and can clearly afford to shoot what he wants.

In any case, for me it would be wasted, my photography skills are not good enough where the camera can make a difference.

Bill

Anyone interested in diving with Hasselblad/Ultima Digital download our workshop information and schedule

Peter

Attachments

• Workshop.doc
    28 KB · Views: 111
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom