Hasselblad and Ultima Digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you like the photos....
Housing starts at $8,800.00 for macro setup(including macro port) and 31 mp start at$16,000.00 before any price breaks. And I carry all in a backpack. You check more pics on my video on Home

Bill...I tested the unit in open water extensively. Frontal area is not as big as my 67 Pentax systems and not that much larger than my D3 gear.It is slightly negative uw and handles quite well. It is a robust system and not at all timid ...it need not be confined to a pool !!...However if a lovely model were involved a pool would be fine!!

Bill...I tested the unit in open water extensively. Frontal area is not as big as my 67 Pentax systems and not that much larger than my D3 gear.It is slightly negative uw and handles quite well. It is a robust system and not at all timid ...it need not be confined to a pool !!...However if a lovely model were involved a pool would be fine!!

I do much of my diving here in Southern California and naively believe that the quality of the photos I can get here are more dependent on the quality of the water than on the quality of the camera gear that I use. For example, I shoot both 5D and 50D and for most pics in our waters, it is hard to see much difference even though shooting flowers in the studio (with the same lenses) the differences are huge. I am not worried about the size so much, because when you get all the strobes and arms and focus lights together the systems are too big anyway. If I win the lottery, I will take a look, til then I will suck it up and shoot my Canons.

Bill

in the interim.....we make art.....dont worry about the brush that you use....when I first started in this business I carried a few old beat up spotmatics....two years in south east asia and another three years in central Africa..but they worked!!!

salagashli..Zulu"go well"

Amazing. Beautiful images. Peter, will you adopt me?? LOL

Congrats on owning a Hasselblad! Even still, I wouldn't want to flood it. I'd cry like a baby.

Signed Jealous in Kansas... aka Colleen

PS --

I wish I could afford a Hasselblad. I can't. I probably never will be able to afford one, so in the meantime I shoot with an entry-level non-pro SLR. I can't even afford to upgrade that camera and I have owned it since 2006. I would put a number of these images up against a Nikon or Canon any day. My underwater setup is actually a Canon G9 (Circuit City going out of business sale) with Canon's housing (Amazon).

Gentlemen.

IMHO this fascination of Hasselblad housings flooding is somewhat overstated.
Most HBlad housings are rentals, with the exception of minor scuffing and scratching caused mainly by careless surface crews we have never had a single flood on any HBlad housing.

What should be understood is that these housings were properly designed in the first place and that the 0-rings used are aircraft quality to precise dimensions from a known compound and a known shore hardness, not some cheap Chinese rubbish with more carbon black than a barbeque brick, stuffed in a plastic housing with no regard for elongation and deflection of plastic resins with high fast temperature changes and pressures.

As with most other housings users changing film do it after reading the instructions, washing in fresh water and with a dry housing.

The real advantage of Hasselblad is that critical edge line, most U/W photographers never bother to get near, Those that do mostly acquire the tools from a hire shop. £50/day, £200/week and the geared 50mm Zeiss is included.

To the original poster. Thank you for your post it was really great to hear about another user. It has been a long time since I have seen any diving forum discuss Hasselblad, I guess you now know why we don’t. LOL Iain Middlebrook

2V3B-41017.jpg

Last edited:
I used Hassies a lot in the pre-digital days (those 70mm backs were ideal). The housings were some of the easiest to use and most robust that I'd ever come across.

iain: but these are not the relatively inexpensive housings that the original poster is talking about, or am I just not seeing this correctly.
Bill

iain: but these are not the relatively inexpensive housings that the original poster is talking about, or am I just not seeing this correctly.
Bill

Bill, the housing on the left is for the 500c Hass with the 50mm distagon lens which I think from memory could be upgraded to take the new CF series lenses and was made for Hasselblad under liscence it does not have the 30 degree reflex view system on this model. The housing on the left is for the Hass SWC camera system and once again was made under liscence for Hasselblad. This was a fixed 30mm Ultrawide lens camera and used a wire frame viewfinder system to fram your shots with. Both are film camera housings and not digital, unless they have been modified after manufacture by third parties!

Peter

Hey folks...just an item of curiousity...on the boxes of one of the Pentax Marine systems I purchased years ago were the prices stickered by a photo store in Calif.....The housing was 11,500 bucks,dome port was 2100 and the macro port 1600...gear sets were 360 bucks each.......I nearly choked !! By comparison uw housings arent that bad these days!! (and no...I didnt pay that much for the system!!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom