Haskel Model AGT 62/152 Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

allenw1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone heard of this model of Haskel. Would it work well for scuba diving applications?

Any info would be appreciated!

I'll wager a guess here. My understanding of the Haskel AGT series, is that the first # is the compression ratio of the first stage, and the second # the second stage. So the first stage compresses to 62:1. So with 100psi drive gas, it would compress to 6200 psi on the first stage, and 15200 psi on the second stage. WAY overkill for any scuba use. Most people using 2 stage boosters, are using something in the realm of 15/30. The 15:1 first stage is good at scavenging gas from supply cylinders, and the 30:1 second stage will boost to 3000 psi at 100 psi drive.

Hope that helps,

Jim

I'll wager a guess here. My understanding of the Haskel AGT series, is that the first # is the compression ratio of the first stage, and the second # the second stage. So the first stage compresses to 62:1. So with 100psi drive gas, it would compress to 6200 psi on the first stage, and 15200 psi on the second stage. WAY overkill for any scuba use. Most people using 2 stage boosters, are using something in the realm of 15/30. The 15:1 first stage is good at scavenging gas from supply cylinders, and the 30:1 second stage will boost to 3000 psi at 100 psi drive.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Thanks Jim!

With that said, would this unit absolutly not work for diving booster applications, or would it just fill slowly, use too much drive gas, etc?

The haskel will work and won't be real slow but you will have to watch carefully because the pressure pumped is extremely high. This is not a unit you could set up and walk away from. You would be much better off purchasing a small compressor for filling your diving tanks than using the haskel.
All that said -- if the haskel was free or very inexpensive, go for it. You will need a shop compressor with 6-9 cfm at 90 pounds pressure to drive it at a reasonable speed.

Frogman62
Jim Shelden
<sheldensportinggoods.com>

QUOTE=allenw1972;3953372]Thanks Jim!

With that said, would this unit absolutly not work for diving booster applications, or would it just fill slowly, use too much drive gas, etc?[/QUOTE]

That monster would fill rebreather tanks but be darn sure to install a relief valve. It is too slow for open circuit SCUBA tank gas transfer. Inspect for "oxygen service" label or plate.

That monster would fill rebreather tanks but be darn sure to install a relief valve. It is too slow for open circuit SCUBA tank gas transfer. Inspect for "oxygen service" label or plate.

Thanks again everyone! You have all been a huge help.

If the unit did not have the "oxygen service" label or plate, does that mean that the unit cannot be O2 serviced?

Also... is there a way to convert this unit from the 62/152 to a 32/62? It seems the 32/62 would fill faster and be rated for lower pressures... although pretty high still?

It can't be converted to other ratios unless the barrels and pistons could be replaced. A factory rep could advise. Call Haskel. I figure a conversion would cost $2000 at least. Some people "clean" Haskels but I think that a couple of hard parts have to be replaced also. Haskels produce heat and some metals or seals are flammable in HP oxygen atmosphere.

Haskel told me a few years back that "any booster we make can be cleaned for O2 service". However by this they mean the AG, AGT and AGD boosters, not the AA amplifiers and other booster-like variants. You can buy the O2-cleaned stickers from Haskel, too.

If you ask Haskel for the parts sheets for the O2 and the non-O2 versions, you can tell exactly what parts are needed. It's usually surprisingly few. Only problem is, while the parts that need changing are cheap, i if you send a booster to Haskel to O2 clean it they will insist on doing a full clean-room overhaul, whether it needs it or not. So O2 cleaning an older Haskel makes most sense if you do it yourself, or have a sympathetic tech who doesn't insist on a full rebuild do it.

I doubt it would be cost effective to rebarrel a Haskel, unless it was free or very cheap. Haskel puts out catalogs and spec sheets with output/input curves, and maybe even a computer program, that will let you figure out what combinations would be workable for what you are trying to do.

Thanks again everyone! You have all been a huge help.

If the unit did not have the "oxygen service" label or plate, does that mean that the unit cannot be O2 serviced?

Also... is there a way to convert this unit from the 62/152 to a 32/62? It seems the 32/62 would fill faster and be rated for lower pressures... although pretty high still?

Back
Top Bottom