Hasama sadly taking some internet heat over MegaMouth incident...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm hoping that the internet outcry will make them think twice about doing this. Because even if you cut the nets, they can get more. But if they realize the error of their ways or at least recognize this is costing them business, then perhaps they will actually stop.
Don't hold your breath....Hasn't helped the dolphins of Taiji!

Don't hold your breath....Hasn't helped the dolphins of Taiji!

Not only dolphins in Taiji, but also whales in South Atlantic. Sea Shepherd has been working on this very hard during years with little success.

Well, I've seen changes happen due to public pressure though it can be slow going. The only thing I can do is share my sadness/anger, share info like the video above as to why this is an issue & ensure I/my dive buddies don't give companies like this my business.

Unfortunately there is not enough pressure- in Okinawa, Japan there are multiple whale sharks kept in a net that divers pay to dive with. The operation has run for years and makes money so others are trying to copy it. The operation in Okinawa has starved to death at least 3 whale sharks that we know of but many local operators still take people there. You have to cut off the demand first as someone will always see the easy money.

Unfortunately there is not enough pressure- in Okinawa, Japan there are multiple whale sharks kept in a net that divers pay to dive with. The operation has run for years and makes money so others are trying to copy it. The operation in Okinawa has starved to death at least 3 whale sharks that we know of but many local operators still take people there. You have to cut off the demand first as someone will always see the easy money.
So sad to hear.... but not surprised.

omg this makes so ill!

You have to cut off the demand first as someone will always see the easy money.

Agreed. And on that subject, I was pleasantly surprised a couple of months ago when I saw in the Shanghai subway a lot of ads, featuring a very well known movie director, against the consumption of manta ray gills. They were made by WildAid (an association I discovered with these ads). Apparently, they are trying to ask for the help of several famous people and trying to build up the consciousness of the population on the matters of shark fins and other traditional "delicacies". The idea is if the consumption stops, than the poaching will too. Let's hope it will have an impact.

Agreed. And on that subject, I was pleasantly surprised a couple of months ago when I saw in the Shanghai subway a lot of ads, featuring a very well known movie director, against the consumption of manta ray gills. They were made by WildAid (an association I discovered with these ads). Apparently, they are trying to ask for the help of several famous people and trying to build up the consciousness of the population on the matters of shark fins and other traditional "delicacies". The idea is if the consumption stops, than the poaching will too. Let's hope it will have an impact.

Oh yeah, I saw that on an ad forum I belong to. I think it won an award. It's the one with the famous former US basketball player who was also on the Chinese Olympic basketball team, right?

Oh yeah, I saw that on an ad forum I belong to. I think it won an award. It's the one with the famous former US basketball player who was also on the Chinese Olympic basketball team, right?

I think the guy you're talking about is Yao Ming. He's one of their ambassador, but the ad I saw was with a movie director (sorry, I'm awfully bad at remembering names), not the basketball player.

I'll need to go and take the subway more often to check if other ads are being shown too ^^

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom