Has sale to Huish affected Atomic quality/service? One person's recent experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedrewsf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Just posting as a heads-up. Have had my T2 for about 20 years now. It's been around the world with me (twice!) and logged nearly 3,000 dives. Been an amazing and reliable workhouse only requiring the every 2-year service. After all this time/dives, the front rubber cover of the 2nd stage finally deteriorated requiring me to keep it together with duct tape. It happened at the start of a 3 month trip (first month in Philippines then two in Australia). I was not able to find any dealers in either of those countries (well, there was a *sole* dealer in Australia but the shop was nowhere where I was going to be and didn't really seem to know what part I needed). I didn't stress too much as the condition of the cover was not affecting the performance of the reg so I just went with the duct tape job and enjoyed my diving.

I finally reached out to Atomic to see if they might be able to help locate me one as the cover was in really bad shape. It was then I realized Atomic had been sold to 'Huish Outdoors.' Never heard of them...do they have experience with scuba? It was an immediate red flag and made me sad. The woman assured me that nothing has changed and Atomic products can still be relied upon for top quality. Unfortunately, this woman from the Customer Care team provided the worst customer service I've experienced in a long while. Her reading comprehension was terrible (she asked me questions that were *directly* addressed in my earlier email, made false promises and needed to be urged for the follow-up she herself promised to me). In the end, she sent me a replacement cover to my home, which was awaiting me when I returned the other night. I am happy to have received a new cover...even if it's yellow (this was for my primary).

Again, I'm only providing this as a heads up. I'm most concerned about whether or not I'll still be able to get parts for my trusty old reg. Has anyone heard anything about availability of parts and/or what Huish's plans are for Atomic? I sure hope that there's still some Atomic leadership involved with the company to ensure the division continues to get some love.

Thank you for reading. All comments welcome.

---------- Post added September 16th, 2015 at 09:13 PM ----------

Here is some info I found about Huish (apologies to those that already know about these guys and/or this is very old news):

About Huish Outdoors: Huish Outdoors strength is built on a solid team with extensive experience in manufacturing, vertical integration and building brands in the consumer products industry. With a mandate to focus on acquiring and building companies with high-quality, innovative products, the Huish Outdoors group has the extensive financial resources and commitment to growth through strategic resources and investment. Huish Outdoors currently owns internationally recognized brands including Atomic Aquatics, BARE and Stahlsac.

I just had some work done on my Atomic Cobalt computer. I was extremely pleased with the results. They took care of me very well. They have my recommendation.

Let me make sure I have this straight...

Your purge cover failed after two decades and 3,000 dives. You called the company and they sent you a new one (which was "waiting for you when you arrived home") even though the reg is 18yrs out of warranty... and you're complaining about the customer service?

PS - the sale to Huish was 4 years ago.

Last edited:
You have a T1. The T2 was introduced in 2005.

The Atomic Aquatics T2, the next generation of the ground-breaking T1 Titanium regulator, was unveiled with great fanfare at the DEMA Show last October and was released to the Atomic Aquatics dealer network this Spring. Easily the most-anticipated new product of the 2005 dive season, the T2 is available now from Atomic dealers from coast to coast.

PRESS RELEASE: New Atomic Aquatics T2 Regulator Smashes All Previous Records

Huish also owns Zeagle now. And Liquivision.

They sent you a new purge cover for a reg that's about 19yrs out of warranty... and you're complaining about the customer service?

PS - the sale was 4 years ago.

Well, Kind of. The T2 was released in 2005, the T1 was from 1996. I have a T1 which is serial number 37, so I've been using them for a while. Now, I did upgrade when it became a T2, then when it became a T2X, and not that the T3 is released, I'll upgrade again, axcept I have 20 of them, so it's a little spendy when upgrading. So the OP hasn't really had a T2 for 20 years.

Yes, the faceplates rot. It's one of the sad things about atomic regs. Mine are in the sun every day year round, so I replace them every couple of years or so. I call the office, ask for 3 or 4, and they send them to me and I give them a cc number. I'm not too sure what the OP's beef is, he didn't even know what regulator he had for the past 20 years, of course she would ask "Questions directly addressed in my earlier e-mails" if the e-mails didn't make sense to her. Like that the OP has had a T2 since 1996. That wouldn't make sense to me either.

But whatever, the OP has a new face cover. Delivered to his home instead of going through a dealer. I'd call that excellent customer service.

Reactions: RJP
Hello Everybody!

Thanks for the posts, everyone! Atomic Aquatics is still in business and doing some amazing things. I was here pre Huish Outdoors, and I can honestly say there have been nothing but improvements on our end. The sky is the limit to where we go from here as a brand and a company.

Divedrewsf: My apologies for your experience in speaking to one of our CS team members. I think the most difficult task we have as a larger brand is making sure all members of our team are educated enough to help with questions similar to yours. This is a constant challenge as most emphasis is placed on the current or new items and not some of the older parts. We try to review as much as we can on some of the older generations so that we can confidently speak to our large consumer base, but sometimes it does not always reach everyone. I would be happy to send out a Gray Ti2 front cover if you need one as well, there are a few of those around here still and would be happy to put one in the mail. Just PM me your address and I will arrange it.

Dean Garraffa and Doug Toth (Founders of Atomic Aquatics) are still heavily involved and in fact have their offices are right next to mine. Dean has become the President of Water Sports and helps to oversee the direction of not only Atomic Aquatics, but Huish Outdoors as well. His leadership helps to reinforce the values of what Atomic Aquatics was founded on, and it has now spread to our entire family - including BARE Sports, Liquivision, Stahlsac, and Zeagle.

Thanks again to everyone here! Your continued support and energy are what really drive us to keep putting out the Best of the Best!

Kind Regards,

Ryan Kenney
Huish Outdoors/Atomic Aquatics

I have an atomic reg I bought used and it has been in a box in the garage for a few years. Never used it. With that kind of customer service.. makes me want to break it out and use it.

Unless you are an underwater model, who the heck cares what color the faceplate is?

If it is the wrong color (octo yellow) then it probably breathes like an air2 or worse.

Color is important to some.

If it is the wrong color (octo yellow) then it probably breathes like an air2 or worse.

Color is important to some.

Huh? All of the Atomics basically breath identically - same mechanism internally. Octo might be adjusted a little tighter, but that's just that - an adjustment. I have a Z2 in Yum Yum Yellow as an Octo, and it breathes identically to my B2 second, as long as the adjustment knob is set the same. (I keep the Z2 tightened up a bit to prevent free flows)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom