Has oil reached Panama City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abaco24

Contributor
Reaction score
Can PatmyGreen or other locals give us a daily report? So sad to see the pirate ship destroyed.........it will be missed.

Oil has not even reached Pensacola nor is it forecasted to reach it this week. It definately has not reached Panama City!

Thanks for the update. Have you heard any projections about if the oil is expected to get as far as Panama City?

I don't think anyone can accurately predict it. There have been several landfall predictions made since the "incident", but most of them have not happened. I think it's kind of like predicting hurricanes. They can give you a best guess, but you never know where it's actually going till it gets there. It was predicted we would have oil on our Mississippi beaches last Sunday or Monday; but, so far we haven't seen anything yet, thankfully. There have been some storm-torn oil boom floats and debris from the Deep Horizon rig wash up on our barrier islands, though. Just got to hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

If you can tell me what the winds will be doing for the next two weeks, I will tell you where the oil will be during those periods. We need to have good weather and offshore winds (Winds out of the North) to keep the oil away from us and to allow the folks working on containment to get boats, crew and resources out to the site.

Here are the last three days predictions. from NOAA, which is about the only source I'd trust and not sure I really trust them.

In my opinion, it looks better for the Florida beaches with each days predictions. (of course any of this could change with winds and currents).

Look at the dates in the upper right corner of each image when looking at these.....

32456_114722821897013_113083025394326_91059_2922381_n.jpg

32456_114722825230346_113083025394326_91060_2846967_n.jpg

32456_114722828563679_113083025394326_91061_2954261_n.jpg

ALso the oil may never reach the beaches. Through a combination of skill, technology, luck (yes luck), and the fact that the "oh noes, the sky is falling crowd" is just plain milking this issue for all it is worth, this will not be, in all likelihood, the ecological disaster that some want it to be.

ALso the oil may never reach the beaches. Through a combination of skill, technology, luck (yes luck), and the fact that the "oh noes, the sky is falling crowd" is just plain milking this issue for all it is worth, this will not be, in all likelihood, the ecological disaster that some want it to be.

3 million gallons (and counting) of hydrocarbons in the food chain IS an ecological disaster. The fishery will take a hit even if the beaches are saved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom