has anyone tried one of these

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubbachicken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
can't afford, don't think i need, has anyone out there tried one of these bio filter
just wondering if they were worth the money, or something else under the why
did i buy that :11: :06:

rubbachicken:
can't afford, don't think i need, has anyone out there tried one of these bio filter
just wondering if they were worth the money, or something else under the why
did i buy that :11: :06:
Looks like a $150 failure point too me.

Get a metal second stage. Your exhaled breath condenses on the metal, and you have moisture on the inhale.

Not only is it a potential failure point and expensive, if it not maintained diligently, it can be a growth area for some nasty critters. Also, it has the potential to freeze if you're doing cold water diving. Not worth it just to have moist air, IMHO.

IME, if you just chill out a bit on the venturi, you won't have serious dry mouth problems most of the time.

After multiple dives I start to cough because of the dry air. My friends have the biofilter and they don't seem to be affected, so I am getting one! :)

I must say they work great... I use one all the time. And I guess everything is a potential failure... but I've never seen one have a problem yet... And that is with me and most everyone I dive with using one for the last 5 years or so.

IMHO, yet another solution in search of a problem.

Moisture condenses on the inside of my second stage (and most others, I suspect). If I get dry mouth, I inhale sharply, which sucks the condensate into my mouth. End of problem.

I used one when I borrowed a friend's reg. It functioned; however, there are many items that I would buy first.

If you do get one, do yourself a favor and be careful when other people (dive boat crew who may be unfamiliar with it) are near your gear. I was on a charter when one of the deck hands picked up this woman's tank with a biofilter on it and grabbed it like a hard point/handle. Bent the crap out of it and stripped threads. Needless to say, she was unhappy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom