Has anyone tried getting a prescription scuba mask (for vision)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a Rx mask when I got back into diving (2017) and love it. My local dive shop had to ship it out to get the lenses put in, but it was back in a couple weeks. Since then I have started to wear contacts but I always have my Rx mask as a backup if something happens while diving in my contacts.

I use an Aqualung Look 2 midi with -1.5 lenses for primary and backup masks. It's great! the lenses just snap into place, and can be removed should I ever get Lasik correction. The midi size works well for my narrow/small face.

I eventually got prescription lenses for my first dive mask. The shop simply disassembled the mask, inserted the new lenses and put the mask back together. Took 5 min tops.
I kept the original lenses, and once I had Lasik years later, was able to reverse the process to get rid of the prescription lenses and put the originals back in. Very easy. Still have the mask too.

Loved having prescription lenses, but love having had Lasik correction more!

I eventually got prescription lenses for my first dive mask. The shop simply disassembled the mask, inserted the new lenses and put the mask back together. Took 5 min tops.
I kept the original lenses, and once I had Lasik years later, was able to reverse the process to get rid of the prescription lenses and put the originals back in. Very easy. Still have the mask too.

Loved having prescription lenses, but love having had Lasik correction more!
Not to split hairs just for its own sake, but you have described changeable diopters rather than actual prescription. A great, less expensive solution if they will work, but not suitable for all.

Diopters cannot adjust for astigmatism or for bifocal needs, which is where a true prescription comes in. My lab advises that an astigmatism correction of .50 or less will be unnoticeable with just diopters, but that as you get higher from there the diopters will become less and less suitable.

Not to split hairs just for its own sake, but you have described changeable diopters rather than actual prescription. A great, less expensive solution if they will work, but not suitable for all.

Diopters cannot adjust for astigmatism or for bifocal needs, which is where a true prescription comes in. My lab advises that an astigmatism correction of .50 or less will be unnoticeable with just diopters, but that as you get higher from there the diopters will become less and less suitable.
When I bought a new mask a couple of years ago, I took my bifocal prescription to the dive shop I bought the mask from. They sent that off and a couple weeks later when the lenses came in, the guy at the dive shop put them in. And like maj2 said, I still have the original lenses I can put back in if I get lasik. And as I said, they are bifocal.

you have described changeable diopters rather than actual prescription. A great, less expensive solution if they will work, but not suitable for all.
I have a mask like that. Plus one without any correction, for use with contacts.

Now that I need a +2 (relative) correction for close vision, I'm using monovision contacts. I had a pair of cheap stick-on reading correction lenses on the mask with correction, but they went AWOL just this winter. I'm thinking about going to monovision in my correction mask as well.

I need 0.75 or 1.0 diopter astigmatism correction on my left eye. I don't notice it much while diving.

I wear a prescription mask - and have for 10 years. It's amazing - and a heck of a lot better than contacts, where, originally, a flooded mask meant a risk of a lost contact. For both of the masks I've used, I've just gone through my local dive shop - they have the required lenses for my prescription in stock, and it took about an hour to get everything ready to go.

Definitely wouldn't dive without one, now.

I wear a prescription mask - and have for 10 years. It's amazing - and a heck of a lot better than contacts, where, originally, a flooded mask meant a risk of a lost contact.
Except that contacts are pretty nifty topside as well. I've been using vision correction since I was 13. Glasses just suck outdoors, and taking care of the glasses while wearing the mask sucks almost as much. Which is why I prefer the hassle of monovision contacts over glasses and a Rx mask for a whole-day outing.

Damn, life was a lot easier before presbyopia set in. Wear contacts, don't worry 'bout a thing.

my prescription is UGLY, and the edge distortion is very real, but still way better than diving blind and relying on the video to see what you didn't see on the dive. Over the years, I've had masks from LDS's (which is ok if your prescription is mild), but the extra $$ (may be substantial) and extra time (very little) is absolutely worth it to me. I look at it this way--pun intended--a top-notch prescription mask from a dive-specific optical lab costs about half what a new dive computer does. I'll get way more enjoyment out of the mask!
~doc

I have a very good Seavision prescription mask, another one with perfect Zeiss prescription lenses and a third one with good prescription lenses.
Despite that, I now choose to dive with contact lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom