Has anyone ever gone back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I do enjoy a good cat fight (especially when ones got an AK 47) I will admit to engaging in a bit of sarcasm occasionally. I will offer the benefit of the doubt and give the politically correct response now as penitence:

Adam,
On the net the only means of assessing somebody is by what he/she says and how they say it. We can't see who you are or read your body language. When someone has very poor grammar or punctuation (not the usual small errors) it comes across in three ways:

They aren't very smart (rarely the case).

They can't be bothered to take the time to express themselves in a way that will inspire respect or confidence in others.

They are honestly oblivious to the effect of extremely poor grammar and when they are told they usually correct the behavior. The OC SCUBA community is probably more sensitive to errors in this way (and someones willingness to commit them) and the rebreather community even more so.

I won't say anything about being an awesome diver as I've been told I'm one myself (usually by swedish hand models while relaxing in a sauna). I don't care if it's true or not actually.

Well said.

But let's remember that perhaps the kid (new to the board) may not have yet embraced al these "rules" about body language and grammar.

Intelligence is not always affirmed by spelling or grammer.

But let's remember that perhaps the kid (new to the board) may not have yet embraced al these "rules" about body language and grammar.

Yes, that's why I thought a better explanation might be in order.

Intelligence is not always affirmed by spelling or grammer.

That's true too. Once there was a guy who had terrible spelling etc... on another fish board and he took some ribbing until it came out that he had suffered a head injury.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Topic gentlemen - remember the topic

That's true too. Once there was a guy who had terrible spelling etc... on another fish board and he took some ribbing until it came out that he had suffered a head injury.

Exactly! Of whom are you speaking?
Which board?
Thanks.
Tim

I do have bad grammar I know. My only struggles in school was writing papers and using the correct spelling punctuation. I'm sorry for my bad grammar it also comes from quick typing allot on things such as face-book and text messaging. I will try my best to work on taking my time when I post and spell punctuate the best I can.

I have both set-ups and switch back and forth, depending on various factors (not least who I have to lend gear to on a particular weekend). I prefer the BP/W, but I am not rabid about it, and am perfectly happy diving in a jacket-style BCD if needs must.

If you are truly comfortable with your dive skills the equipment becomes secondary. It is the diver, not the gear, that makes it right.

I dive and teach in bp/w, jacket, long hose, short hose, open water, caves, wrecks, technical environments, and am always ready to share my gear with someone who thinks their reg is breathing funny, or BC doesn't fit right, etc.

Look inside for your skill development, not at the gear.

The only reason I've heard of people going back is instructors/DM's switching to conform with their class' gear.

That is the reason I decided against going DM with any local shop. I dive BP/w, long hose, and full hogarth. I'm not religiously fundamentalist about it but it is what I'm comfortable with, have my muscle memory, and prefer. I almost quit diving because of BCD and the wing convinced me to to stay. All the locals want me to switch to their uniform, of which, most is incompatible with my diving style and further, they even want me to switch to their brand of gear (which I mostly have on the very costly side except my wetsuit, fins, and choice of BCD). And ditch the can light.

For DM'ing, I should be able to configure how I'm best going to perform and affect a rescude, which will be what gear is instinctive to me and absolutely comformatble to me. For instructing, I understand why a changeover would be necessary, which is why I'd likely become a UTD instructor since gear configuration is Hogarthian from day 1. I'm just comfortable that way. I'm not comfortable switching out.

To the OP's question: I cannot imagine ever going back.

Thanks,
Shawn

That is the reason I decided against going DM with any local shop. I dive BP/w, long hose, and full hogarth. I'm not religiously fundamentalist about it but it is what I'm comfortable with, have my muscle memory, and prefer. I almost quit diving because of BCD and the wing convinced me to to stay. All the locals want me to switch to their uniform, of which, most is incompatible with my diving style and further, they even want me to switch to their brand of gear (which I mostly have on the very costly side except my wet suit, fins, and choice of BCD). And ditch the can light.

For DM'ing, I should be able to configure how I'm best going to perform and affect a rescue, which will be what gear is instinctive to me and absolutely conformable to me. For instructing, I understand why a changeover would be necessary, which is why I'd likely become a UTD instructor since gear configuration is Hogarthian from day 1. I'm just comfortable that way. I'm not comfortable switching out.
To the OP's question: I cannot imagine ever going back.

Thanks,
Shawn

hmm.. That sounds like what I'm being asked to do become a dive-con for SSI and the only reason I'm still saying i dought ill do it is because i have to go to diving are shop's open water gear package which is very quality gear i actually have and use most of what we sell in a open water package the regs (set up Dir) mask,fins,boots,wet suit just don't want to go back to a jacket BC. I wont ever give up my bp/w.

As a BP/W owner, I had the same concerns about becoming a DC. In the pool, I wear stock rental gear in case I need to demo a skill, but there's absolutely no reason a DC shouldn't wear a BP/W for checkouts. You aren't there to demo anything. If you are getting resistance from your LDS on your rig, be aware that's your LDS's issue, SSI has no issue with BP/W being used by DC or OWI in OW. I've used mine as a DC and OWI for all OW checkouts.

hmm.. That sounds like what I'm being asked to do become a dive-con for SSI and the only reason I'm still saying i dought ill do it is because i have to go to diving are shop's open water gear package which is very quality gear i actually have and use most of what we sell in a open water package the regs (set up Dir) mask,fins,boots,wet suit just don't want to go back to a jacket BC. I wont ever give up my bp/w.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom