Has anyone ever experienced helping or saving an ocean creature!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have rescued a few pelicans and seagulls that got tangled up in lines while surf fishing. They generally did not appreciate the rescue. Cutting them loose so that they were not left with dangling lines and so that I still had my eyeballs in their correct place took some agility and care.

Helping to remove abandoned fishing gear or collapsing crab pots helps save ocean creatures ... sometimes on a large scale. Picking up plastic trash or cleaning up the bottom around marinas or boat docks helps save ocean creatures. Divers can do a lot that indirectly helps save marine life ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Z - it really was a Herculean effort from everyone - the effort everyone put in showed the better side of humans.

I helped a poor lobster into a boiling pot of water. My wife was very thankful. :)

Not a sea creature but a freshwater one, let a approximately 29" Walleye (longer than my arm) go that was on the bottom of the lake with a metal fish stringer. Found out later that it had been caught a couple days earlier and the stringer came off the boat.

Most recently a turtle, it had heavy line and a steel leader wrapped around it and a pectoral fin and was then hooked into the fin. It was circling oddly, closer, closer, until we realized the issue. Not sure if it was circling because that is all it could do or if it somehow wanted help, not trying to credit the poor reptile with any higher thought. In any case, my buddy took his line cutter and I grabbed the turtle and he also grabbed it to steady himself and cut the leader from the fin, the line fell away and the turtle immediately displayed it's desire to be free and we released it rather than wrestle it to work on the hook, the hook remained but I am sure it fell out of it's own accord later.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom