Has anyone dove with The Ultimate Getaway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mopar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning on going on my first liveaboard this spring. I am going to go with the Ultimate Geataway in the Dry Tortugas. Has anyone dove with this outfit and what do I need besides scuba gear? Also what can I expect to encounter on this trip?

yes - been on it a few times. They do 2 types of trips - photography ones will stay in the marine sanctuary; spearfishing trips will be outside of it. If you don't spear and want to take pics, go on a photo tour. If you spear, you will (probably) see some nice large fish.
Nitrox is worth it if you are going to make all the dives and want to maximise your diving. You board on a Thursday evening and it sails overnight to the Tortugas. You dive all day Fri and Sat then start back, doing 2 early morning dives on Sun (the wreck of the Baja California and the Airforce Tower) - getting back to Ft Myers on Sun afternoon...it's great if the weather is good, if the weather is crappy they may change the itinery - I was on it once where it was too rough for the Sunday dives - they hugged the coast on the way back.

just need your scuba gear (include a BIG safety sausage and if you have a dive alert take it), a pillow and a sleeping bag or something similar, and a towel (toothbrush etc as well). Sleeping is in small bunks with a privacy curtain. food is basic but plentiful (and they have snacks between dives) - you will not go hungry. They supply soft drinks, if you want alcoholic drinks, bring your own (they have coolers to keep them in) - but after drinking, no diving of course.

Is there room in the sleeping quarters for clothes and extra gear. Or is room tight. I would like to bring some extra gear incase for example my regs. fail.

Is there room in the sleeping quarters for clothes and extra gear. Or is room tight. I would like to bring some extra gear incase for example my regs. fail.

The sleeping quarters are 'bunks' vs. rooms.... Rather spartan... The main dive deck has lots of space, so if your bringing extra regs\ sensitive bits make sure they are in a protected case of some sort, or will fit in your berth...

If you would like, feel free to contact me. Live aboard charter to an underwater called the florida middle grounds and some really old wreck such as the empire mica.

Later
mike ramsey

If you would like, feel free to contact me. Live aboard charter to an underwater called the florida middle grounds and some really old wreck such as the empire mica.

Later
mike ramsey

850 532 2805

Should my vehicle be alright in the parking lot or do I need to rent a car?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom