Has Anyone been to Oronogo lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflipp

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking about making a trip to Oronogo Oct. 15/16. Can anyone provide information on visibility there?

Thanks,
Dan

I was there over Labor day weekend. Personally, I wouldnt be dissappointed if I never dove there again. The people are nice, but there isnt a whole lot to see. I only saw a few fish the whole time I was there, and those were just small ones at the surface when I saw finning up.

Hi Dan (aka dflipp),
Did you make it to Oronogo the 15th/16th? I was there the 16th - my first and not-to-be-my-last visit. I thought the visibility was great (20ft +?), the weather was fantastic, and the trees surrounding the lake were beautiful as they're changing color. All that and only a handful of other divers - mainly tec divers. The four of us that drove up together felt like we had the place to ourselves. I'm guessing that the absence of a swarm of other divers helped account for the great visibility. Anyway, for a driveable dive spot I was impressed. I also want to second diverbob and say that the people running the place are very nice.

No, I didn't make it. My dive buddy couldn't get free to go. Thanks for the update though. I still want to make a trip up there before it gets too cold.

I haven't been there since 1992. I remember being impressed with the wall dives and the chambers cut into the sides with "chimneys" that extended up to around 30 feet or so from the surface. I personally don't enjoy the underwater salvage yard scene that most quarries have created. I'd rather see just a few interesting "wrecks" and the structure of the quarry.

We were at Oronogo on Sunday, Oct 23. The conditions were probably the best that I have seen them. Although there were two classes of Open water students, the vis was still 20+ft on their side, but if you ventured just a little farther, where the water had not been disturbed you could find almost 40ft vis. It was great. The surface temp was around 68* and the first thermocline at 35ft. Bottom temp at 100ft was 53*.

Is there anyone at Oronogo that offers cavern diving training/certification? I've been interested in going there but I would also be interested in exploring the garage bay areas with the proper instruction/guide.

Sounds like a place to try out this winter,,,,7 hour drive from my Tx. location,,,,I need the cool water dives before hitting Co. in Feb..

EuphoriaII:
Is there anyone at Oronogo that offers cavern diving training/certification? I've been interested in going there but I would also be interested in exploring the garage bay areas with the proper instruction/guide.
Yep, the owner can instruct you. I can't remember what level it is, but I know he can train you to get to the bottom of there which is >200'. I wasn't really interested in getting that deep the last time I was there...especially since that was before I had my drysuit. Just give him a call, and he will be happy to get you the information that you are wanting.

If I can ever get my act together... I'd like to do Oronogo next summer! Didn't know about caverns or instruction there! Oh boy!

From what I've read it offers things besides that, so it would be a pretty good trip no matter what you want to do.

The problem is there are just too many places to go and too little time to do so.

Back
Top Bottom