Has anybody dove wearing one of these watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I just can't see wearing a watch underwater to tell the time if you are already wearing a dive computer (which also tells the time).

Really, on your dive you should be focused on bottom time, not on what time it is. Although I admit I have looked at that when someone is waiting for me topside to get dinner! :D

As far as redundancy, if you are diving in situations where you need a backup timer (say, a dive with a deco obligation), you might as well get a bottom timer as backup for your dive computer, as opposed to a watch and an analog depth gauge. Or better yet, a second dive computer, which you can probably get for less than a bottom timer, and just use in gauge mode.

Before I bought my first DC I ran tables using a $25 Timex Dive Watch I got from the bargain bin. Damn thing worked for two years before battery died, it never flooded. I used it as backup after I got a DC.

Even cheap watches can be made water tight.

Yeah, I just can't see wearing a watch underwater to tell the time if you are already wearing a dive computer (which also tells the time).

Really, on your dive you should be focused on bottom time, not on what time it is. Although I admit I have looked at that when someone is waiting for me topside to get dinner! :D

As far as redundancy, if you are diving in situations where you need a backup timer (say, a dive with a deco obligation), you might as well get a bottom timer as backup for your dive computer, as opposed to a watch and an analog depth gauge. Or better yet, a second dive computer, which you can probably get for less than a bottom timer, and just use in gauge mode.

People (right or wrong) dive what they learned to dive with and change (sometimes) as they develop new and better skills.

Since this has gone from "has anybody dove this watch, I'm thinking of giving it as a gift" to "you don't need a watch when diving" thread, I will comment specifically to myself.

1. I wear a watch everyday. Sometime a dive watch. Sometimes a dress watch. But, always a watch. I usually match it to my day, clothes, event and so on.

2. Since I wear a watch everyday, I am wearing one when I dive. Since I don't want to leave it in my car, hotel, dry bag, boat or whatever, I will wear one of many watches I own that will handle the type of dive I am on. Not all of them are traditional dive watches. All of them will handle the depth at which I am diving to. (at least none have gone 'pop' yet) As an example, my G-Shock is a personal favorite because of it's durability.

I have been know to wear a more dress style dive watch when the events after the dive warrant a better look. I've been know to wear a durable watch when the dive situation requires maximum durability. I've been know to wear a Aqualand and use it as a BT for redundancy on a technical dive. I've been know to just dive the Aqualand when the dive doesn't need more than a BT.

None my personal habits and choices listed above are needed to dive. Two of the same DCs would handle all diving my situations.

But, back to my first statement. I wear a watch everyday and as such when I go diving I have a watch on and don't want to take it off. I'm not the only one.

Still waiting to see if anybody has actually dove the Timex shown in the first post.....anyone.....Bueller....

I recently got a Vostok Amphibia.

A dive watch with Automatic movement that can be had for $45-$80. They have an interesting history and anything can be replaced/modified or adjusted.

Search an online auction site for "Vostok Amphibia". The seller "Zenitar" probably does 99% of sales for these. I bought a different bezel from the Ukrain for another $33. Received both in less than 2 weeks after ordering. There are a few youtube videos out there describing its history and ease of maintenance and adjustments.

I put a nato strap on it after this photo was taken:

Vostok.jpg

I think it is fine looking watch. The watch looks quite functional and could be used as a back up if you are diving tables. I like it. But then I like watches.

I usually wear a watch as an "in case all else fails" back-up...& because it was a gift. I have two dive computers, but low tech (dive watch & tables) gives me a (?false?) sense of security...if my computers fail then I still have back-up.

Back
Top Bottom