Harvey's Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone ever dive Harvey's Lake in North East PA?

I've seen that they have a dive shop in the area, and read somewhere that peope actually dive there, but haven't seen or heard about it...

Just curious!

The Dive Shop isn't there anymore and there isn't a public boat access so you have to know someone who lives there with a boat to dive there anymore. Have you ever dove Raystown Lake? I plan on Diving there this year, it looks pretty good

I grew up in Shavertown, PA (about 7 miles from Harvey's Lake) and dived the lake on a regular basis back in the 70's. The Harvey's Lake Scuba School and owner Tommy O'Brian are long, long gone. Tommy was quite the character. Kind of marched to the beat of a different drummer when it came to diver training. He wasn't a member of any training agency. He would train divers by using the methods he learned when he was a merchant marine and would issue his own diving certificate. I doubt it would be accepted by anyone else. Many of the local divers did get their first experience by taking one of Tommy's one day intro courses. During the summer months Tommy would charge divers to dive from his property ($5.00 or $10.00 or so if my memory is correct). You could bring a picnic lunch and stay the entire day. He even sunk two or three small boats in about 15ft of water to give divers something to look at. Tommy also would charter a large pontoon boat that he had and take divers to different locations on the lake. But that was a long, long time ago. Tommy was a good friend of many of the local divers in the area (which weren't very many at the time) and he is saddly missed.

Currently there are two dive shops that service the area. Inland Water Sports is located in luzerne (sorry no telephone #) and Scuba America on Gardner Ave in Dunmore (1-570-342-1480)

Except for the State boat launch, Harvey's has pretty much turned into a private lake. Unless you had your own boat, you would have to let someone allow you to cross their property to get to the water. Good luck with that ever happening.

During the 80's, Harvey's use to suffer from large blooms of algae during the summer months. The lake would actually turn a light green. I'm not sure if this is under control. When I use to dive the lake, visibility in the 10-15 ft. range was common. Visibility steadily decreased over the years. I have a depth map of the lake. The deepest point (110 ft.) is located straight out from the old Hanson's Amusement park (which is also long, long gone).

I've passed by the dive shop in Luzerne..took me TOTALLY by surprise..it was closed, and I haven't had the opportunity to get back over.

I was curious because (and I forget where) but I read something about people diving the lake (and not just for recovery purposes)..Never knew that it got to 110?!?! I could almost figure that the viz blows, I've been through there during holidays and it looks kicked up with all the boat and jetski traffic...I remember going to Hanson's as a kid...

Thanks for the info!

--Toolbox, never been to Raystown, I've been curious about that, as well as Blue Marsh near Reading...Not to mention Eldridge lake in Elmira New York...

I grew up spending my summers on Harveys lake. I was asking about diving it a couple years back. I remember that pontoon boat Tom used for the divers. The Days of amphibious cars and seaplanes on that lake are over. That place used to be a huge summer destination. Amusement park...dance hall..21 bars.

I have a dive bud that keeps asking me about diving Blue Marsh. My understanding is that it's like diving Willow. Viz is usually really bad, even in the winter. But he finds a lot of cool stuff there. I'm might schlep out there one of these weekends just for the heck of it. Diving is diving, even in a mud puddle...:D

I dove Willow yesterday for my nitrox check out dive. About five feet viz. Not to mention really cold in a wetsuit...

Yeah...some day gotta bite the bullet and use that 7mm I bought! hahaha! I've been saving it for early season diving (like June) but haven't been able to use it yet!

How deep does Blue Marsh get? I know one area we were swimming years back (until the park rangers yelled at us) was maybe about 20 feet..

It was cold ~43 degrees, and I was test diving a 5mil FJ! It would have been okay for me for a 40 minute or so dive, except for sitting on that platform waiting for the other duffus's.

Once I got moving, it was hard to generate any heat in that viz! If I would have jetted along to get the blood flowing, I would have slammed into a boat! :D

Buoyant1:
Yeah...some day gotta bite the bullet and use that 7mm I bought! hahaha! I've been saving it for early season diving (like June) but haven't been able to use it yet!

How deep does Blue Marsh get? I know one area we were swimming years back (until the park rangers yelled at us) was maybe about 20 feet..

Early JUNE!! C'mon....where's you sense of adventure??!!

I'm not sure. I know the lake is down now, probably a good five to ten feet. Maybe they were yelling at you because the boats were using you for target practice?? :wink:

Bottom line is that it's a lake to practice search and recovery and team diving because of the crappy viz. Sometimes you find some good stuff around the bridges. On the same token, it gives Nimrods something to aim at when your down....

Back
Top Bottom