Harvey's Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's funny...I just got back from Key Largo and the locals are diving in 5mm+ !

I overheard a guy at a restaurant talking about their DM freezing in his 5mm!

KeyLargoBrent was wearing a worn out 3mm with a hood and a 3mm (I think) shorty over top! To his credit.. his 3mm WAS severely worn and he was trying to stretch it out for the season by wearing the shorty over top, but I was comfy in my 3mm. Water temps were about 74 degrees...That's what Bainbridge was in August when I was there last summer...

Alright...maybe I'll try to stretch it to May! hahaha!!!

Yeah, we think they are wussies, however, when I was in the Army living in Arizona, I was freezing at 45 degrees....Doesn't take long for your body to acclimate to the zone you are in.

Hard to believe that someone in the Keys is freezing their keister off in a 5mm though.

Okay!! May it is then! :wink: Actually, I've never been to BSC but I understand that it's colder than Dutch during anytime.

I chartered a boat between Christmas and News Years and dove the Thunderbolt and the Busch in my Dry Suit. No problem here.

I haven't actually dove the lake yet, but I only got certified last spring. However, I can tell you that Paul Mierzwa from Inland Water Sports, who was my instructor, has told me that it's actually pretty good diving if you pay attention to the weather. When the weather's been calm, the visibility can be pretty good (for lake diving in the area), but there are only one or two entry points unless you know somebody. There's not a lot to see, from what I understand, but I plan on trying it out as soon as the weather breaks because it's a lot closer than willow springs or dutch. If you want more info, Paul's a good guy, give him a call at Inland in Luzerne and ask all the questions you want, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to give you all the inside scoop on diving the lake.

This is the time of the year the water of Harvey's Lake (and all lakes in temperate climates) is in the process of turning over. The bottom water begins to mix with the upper water and the lake becomes one uniform temp. The visibility during this period is going to be between anywhere from zero to several inches. Your not going to get any good visibility until the summer thermocline establishes itself (mid-May into June). Once you get below the thermo, that's where the visibility opens up some, but be prepared for a shock. Below the thermocline that water temp can drop down into the mid 40s.

In my opinion, much better lake for diving is Winola. Winola is a spring-fed lake and has been cleaned up to a near pristine state since the sewer system was installed back in the mid-80s Like Harveys however, except for the state boat launch, Winola has pretty much turned into a private lake, so access to the lake is limited. During the summer months on bright sunny days I have had dives in Winola with visibility in the 40ft. range (below the thermocline). There is plenty of fish life in the shallows and bottle collecting can be very productive. During a hot summer the surface waters could reach into the mid 70s but below the thermocline (about 15ft.-20 ft. below ther surface) the lake water plummet inot the mid 40's, so be prepared.

Good Diving

We where suppose yo do our ice dives this year at harvey lake though it did not get a solid alyer of ice from what we where told so we never got there :(

Ed, where about is Winola?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom