Harness setup on the backplate.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USMC CPL.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have tested out my new bp/w in a pool on Monday. The harness seems a little loose. I have read that you should be able to make a fist and still be able to get between the harness strap and your arms. I have also read that it should be a couple of finger widths. Which is it? I am able to make a fist and still get in between my shoulder and the harness. When I tested it in the pool it was loose but felt good. The waist and crotch strap seemed to keep it all in place. Now part two. With a jacket b/c I was diving with ten pounds. That is with a 3 mil wet suit and al80 tank. I had ten pounds on the harness with a tank that had 500 psi left in it. I sunk like a rock. I am thinking of dropping to 6 to 8 pounds. Would that be a good starting point or should I see where I am at when I have a wetsuit on. Thanks for the help. Neil.

I start with the fist having the knuckles against the chest instead of the little finger or thumb against the chest. If that makes sense.
If that's too loose, I then go to a number of fingers, too tight start adding.
I want to make sure they can still "chicken wing" their arm out and don the system.

As for weighting, remember your older BC or the ones you've used in the past typically have padding and other fluff that creates buoyancy. No fluff with a BP&W.
I can tell you with a 3mm and AL80 @ 600 PSI in salt water, I use 6 pounds. If you can get in the water with the your configuration have someone hand you weights, or place them on the deck or shallow bottom and do a proper weight check.

I start with the fist having the knuckles against the chest instead of the little finger or thumb against the chest. If that makes sense.
If that's too loose, I then go to a number of fingers, too tight start adding.
I want to make sure they can still "chicken wing" their arm out and don the system.

As for weighting, remember your older BC or the ones you've used in the past typically have padding and other fluff that creates buoyancy. No fluff with a BP&W.
I can tell you with a 3mm and AL80 @ 600 PSI in salt water, I use 6 pounds. If you can get in the water with the your configuration have someone hand you weights, or place them on the deck or shallow bottom and do a proper weight check.

Thanks for the reply. Will do what you advised.

[QUOTE="USMC CPL., post: 8002143, member: 483250"II had ten pounds on the harness with a tank that had 500 psi left in it. I sunk like a rock. I am thinking of dropping to 6 to 8 pounds. Would that be a good starting point or should I see where I am at when I have a wetsuit on. Thanks for the help. Neil.[/QUOTE]

As others have noted a typical SS plate and harness is about -6 lbs. I routinely see divers that move from a BP&W reduce the weight on their belt by ~10 lbs. 6 is the plate and harness, 2-4 is the result of eliminating inherently buoyant BC's and 2-4 is often simply due to divers being more aware of ballast requirements.

Tobin

@USMC CPL. I have mine a full fist. Thumb against my chest, pinky against the straps. Even with doubles I prefer them to be quite loose as the waist belt and crotch strap hold everything where it is supposed to be.

Regarding weighting, I'd just take the whole belt off. Odds are you were slightly overweighted to begin with, and with the steel plate you should be able to dive without it in fresh water. Maybe 4lbs in the salty stuff with a 3mm suit and al80

[QUOTE="USMC CPL., post: 8002143, member: 483250"II had ten pounds on the harness with a tank that had 500 psi left in it. I sunk like a rock. I am thinking of dropping to 6 to 8 pounds. Would that be a good starting point or should I see where I am at when I have a wetsuit on. Thanks for the help. Neil.

As others have noted a typical SS plate and harness is about -6 lbs. I routinely see divers that move from a BP&W reduce the weight on their belt by ~10 lbs. 6 is the plate and harness, 2-4 is the result of eliminating inherently buoyant BC's and 2-4 is often simply due to divers being more aware of ballast requirements.

Tobin[/QUOTE]
I do not have a steel backplate. It is aluminum but next one is going to be. Steel.

@USMC CPL. I have mine a full fist. Thumb against my chest, pinky against the straps. Even with doubles I prefer them to be quite loose as the waist belt and crotch strap hold everything where it is supposed to be.

Regarding weighting, I'd just take the whole belt off. Odds are you were slightly overweighted to begin with, and with the steel plate you should be able to dive without it in fresh water. Maybe 4lbs in the salty stuff with a 3mm suit and al80
I have an aluminum back plate at this time. Next purchase after regs is going to be a steel backplate.

I think you are tall ? I am short at 5' 6". If I set the shoulder straps too loose, the plate drops a little too low. For me, 2 finger widths.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom