Harness recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read that a disadvantage to the harness systems that are not a single piece of webbing is that the plastic buckles could break. How likely is that? Has anyone ever heard of that actually happening?

I have... it happens pretty easily when heavy tanks get set down on them.

When you look at harnesses, how do you know how flexible the webbing it? Dive Rite describes their webbing as MIL-SPEC polypropylene webbing (not sure what this tells me), but when I look at Halcyon's webbing there is no description of the webbing itself.
Carrie

If you go for a hog harness, you can buy the webbing separately and choose whatever you like (get a pink harness just to make people cringe!).

DGX sells two types - the polypro is supposed to be softer than the nylon.

I use a modified deluxe harness with quick release, I bought a 5' piece of polypro webbing from Dive Rite Express added a grommet and used it for the shoulder straps (it's a lot softer than the regular webbing), then I cut out the quick release and moved it to below the right d-ring (like where the buckles are on the Trans Plate Harness) It nice that it doesnt dig into my shoulder anymore and I can put my shoulder d-ring even with the other side. Leasure Pro sells the 2' quick release so I'm going to order a couple for spares and I could change either end out in a couple minutes. I like the chest strap because it keeps the shoulder straps in the center and I used 90 deg rigid d-rings for the waist.

I have read that a disadvantage to the harness systems that are not a single piece of webbing is that the plastic buckles could break. How likely is that? Has anyone ever heard of that actually happening?

Both my wife and I use the Apeks WTX Harness setup. Sure, a plastic buckle could break but it it highly unlikely with any degree of care. But just for fun, using a spare, I tried to break one, with a hammer. It was not easy and took several hard blows before it actually became unusable.

This is what we use and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

wtx_harness.jpg

WTX Harness

I use a modified deluxe harness with quick release, I bought a 5' piece of polypro webbing from Dive Rite Express added a grommet and used it for the shoulder straps (it's a lot softer than the regular webbing), then I cut out the quick release and moved it to below the right d-ring (like where the buckles are on the Trans Plate Harness) It nice that it doesnt dig into my shoulder anymore and I can put my shoulder d-ring even with the other side. Leasure Pro sells the 2' quick release so I'm going to order a couple for spares and I could change either end out in a couple minutes. I like the chest strap because it keeps the shoulder straps in the center and I used 90 deg rigid d-rings for the waist.

Could you take a pic of this and post it?:)
Thanks
Carrie

Both my wife and I use the Apeks WTX Harness setup. Sure, a plastic buckle could break but it it highly unlikely with any degree of care. But just for fun, using a spare, I tried to break one, with a hammer. It was not easy and took several hard blows before it actually became unusable.

Since a hammer attack is unlikely, and since a number of people have had first-hand experience with a single blow from a heavy tank destroying one, I recommend trying to break one with the butt-end of a HP100 instead. It might be an unlikely occurrence, but I'd be hesitant to call anything numerous people report having experienced "highly unlikely".

Since a hammer attack is unlikely, and since a number of people have had first-hand experience with a single blow from a heavy tank destroying one, I recommend trying to break one with the butt-end of a HP100 instead. It might be an unlikely occurrence, but I'd be hesitant to call anything numerous people report having experienced "highly unlikely".

I'm sure some plastic buckles shatter or break under an attack of a ruthless deckhand but the buckles on the WTX are seemingly tougher than most. Besides, in order for a HP100 to smash my harness buckles it would have to be laying flat on the deck and the vicious deckhand would have to aim the tank at a buckle to even have a shot at breaking it.:wink:

Besides, in order for a HP100 to smash my harness buckles it would have to be laying flat on the deck and the vicious deckhand would have to aim the tank at a buckle to even have a shot at breaking it.:wink:

The one time I saw it happen, and in at least one of the cases when I've heard of it happening, the tank was being set down hard on a bench next to a rig with an unbuckled harness.

The one time I saw it happen, and in at least one of the cases when I've heard of it happening, the tank was being set down hard on a bench next to a rig with an unbuckled harness.

Hence the single spare in my save-a-dive kit.:wink: Keep in mind, these issues happen on the surface and pose no threat to the diver.

I had a quick release buckle break after about 50 dives. And I take care of my gear. So, it can happen. I will not use quick releases on my harness again.

My Deluxe harness is not 1 pc., but doesn't have a plastic quick release buckle either. Its basically 2 pieces of harness straps on each side. There's no plastic to fail. The harness straps thread through a D-rings & then back through some metal slides (like a weight keepers for a belt). It's kind of a pain to initially put together & then adjust, but once done, it's Sweeeeeet:D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom