Harness or BC with a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done rather a lot of dives using a wing with my dry suit (used the wing since 1997), re the subject of an accident and the DS tears, yep I have seen it happen at Scap Flow in cold water, luckily the DS did not flood too quickly but the diver certainly needed his BC then, he was a member of my group.
But good luck in your choice

After doing a little more research I decided to go with the OMS Harness and backplate with a 60lb bladder. Seems to be the same as the Dive Rite harness but a little cheaper and I didn't want all that extra padding on the shoulders and back so it ends up being a bit cheaper. I am going to do a couple shallow dives with and without using the bladder to see the difference but more than likely will keep the bladder on as a fail safe.

I'm using a Seaquest Raider (I know it's not BP/W, but it does have wings:wink: ) and I used light bungie chord to pull the wings in when they're not inflated. Made a big difference not having them flapping around.

Dave

Aquatech3:
After doing a little more research I decided to go with the OMS Harness and backplate with a 60lb bladder.

Are you diving single tanks? If so, 60lbs of lift seem to be a bit much-30 pounds or so should work. In quickly reading this thread it seems that one of your reasons for diving without a bladder at all was to be streamlined, if you get a wing that is the right size for your rig then you will indeed find yourself to be very streamlined-especially if you came from a jacket BC

[now is the time that Tobin comes along and cut-and-pastes his excellent wing sizing discussion-but also check out the thread below]

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2151342#post2151342

Aquatech3:
After doing a little more research I decided to go with the OMS Harness and backplate with a 60lb bladder.

60lbs sounds like a lot of lift unless you're diving doubles.

I am diving singles currently but this winter will be diving double steel 72's so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

If you get a Dive Rite REC wing you can snug up the bungee cord when you dive a single tank and unclip the cord when you dive doubles. The bungee will draw the wing in a bit, and avoid the "taco" effect common with oversized wings and single tanks. IMHO the best way to go would be a BP and a Venture wing (or 30 lb wing) for single tanks and a REC wing (or 60 lb wing) for doubles. That is what I did. My son has a Transpac (he didn't like the hard plate on this back) and uses my Venture wing when we dive together.

BTW- I tried the PADI way of using just the DS for inflation and agree with eveyone else. Use enough air in the suit to avoid squeeze and your BC/wing for control. Good luck.

Wmspdi, Thanks for the additional info....I have already bought the OMS but the Recwing I do agree looks much more streamline...I will try to find an OMS comparable. I see you are from my neck of the woods, do you know of any other good sites in Ohio other than Gilboa, Portage and Whitestar?

Those are big 3... unless you add Lake Erie for some wreck diving. If you do any Great Lakes boat dives plan on diving dry, or at least have a 7mm Farmer John (or full length) wet suit. Water temps get down around 40F on some of the wrecks.

A 60 pound wing is probably still way to much for a pair of steel 73's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom