Harlow and Wolfinger Regulator Books...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacLeod

Reaction score
There are two books that that I am aware of that are purported to be very good for those interested in a greater depth of regulator understanding:

Vance Harlow's SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR Airspeed Press

and

Regulator Savvy - First Edition by Peter Wolfinger Peter Built Tool Company

Is anyone familiar with these two books enough to be able to say who their audiences are? What are their strengths and weaknesses and which is better for those interested in a "how to" book/approach to work on their own regs?

Thank you!

MacLeod:
There are two books that that I am aware of that are purported to be very good for those interested in a greater depth of regulator understanding:

and

Is anyone familiar with these two books enough to be able to say who their audiences are? What are their strengths and weaknesses and which is better for those interested in a "how to" book/approach to work on their own regs?

Thank you!

I have Vance's book. It's great, even for non-mechanical types. Buy it!

I don't have the Peter Built book, but based on all the other stuff they do, I've gotta have it myself!

MacLeod:

and

Thank you!

I don't own Harlow's work, but Wolfinger's book is a must have if you want to truly understand the mechanical attributes of a regulator. I've been working on regs for nearly 30 years, and I learned a lot from the text. I also highly recommend their tools, and own a considerable number of them.

Greg Barlow

Greg Barlow:
I don't own Harlow's work, but Wolfinger's book is a must have if you want to truly understand the mechanical attributes of a regulator. I've been working on regs for nearly 30 years, and I learned a lot from the text. I also highly recommend their tools, and own a considerable number of them.

Greg Barlow

Thanks Rob and Greg!

Yes, I too have bought a lot of "Peter Built" tools over the years...in fact almost all of my reg. tools are from him. I also had a number of conversations with Peter early on when he was writing his book...it sounded even then like it would be a great theory book...but I thought I remember him saying that it would not be geared towards servicing/fixing regs.

I would definitely like to eventually pick up both books, but at $50 each (and with some other gear I need to purchase), I really only want to buy one first. I am currantly looking for the one that best explains the best way to service regs (cleaning parts, common fixes/troubleshooting, etc)...in particular diaphragm/Apeks/Zeagle regs. Theory is also very important (I love learning how things work)...but for the 1st book, if one is stronger in the actual servicing aspect, that would best serve my needs in the short term (like I said, I would like to get the other later too).

Any ideas?

Thank you again!

MacLeod:
Thanks Rob and Greg!

Yes, I too have bought a lot of "Peter Built" tools over the years...in fact almost all of my reg. tools are from him. I also had a number of conversations with Peter early on when he was writing his book...it sounded even then like it would be a great theory book...but I thought I remember him saying that it would not be geared towards servicing/fixing regs.

I would definitely like to eventually pick up both books, but at $50 each (and with some other gear I need to purchase), I really only want to buy one first. I am currantly looking for the one that best explains the best way to service regs (cleaning parts, common fixes/troubleshooting, etc)...in particular diaphragm/Apeks/Zeagle regs. Theory is also very important (I love learning how things work)...but for the 1st book, if one is stronger in the actual servicing aspect, that would best serve my needs in the short term (like I said, I would like to get the other later too).

Any ideas?

Thank you again!

I can't speak for Harlow's book. You might want to read and study Wolfinger's text, and then obtain the service manuals for Apeks and Zeagle regs. After understanding the general principles of regulators you tend to understand the service manuals a bit more.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
I can't speak for Harlow's book. You might want to read and study Wolfinger's text, and then obtain the service manuals for Apeks and Zeagle regs. After understanding the general principles of regulators you tend to understand the service manuals a bit more.

Greg

Thanks Greg...does Wolfinger's book explain the best way to clean parts and/or give any other specific maintenance instruction?

MacLeod:
Thanks Greg...does Wolfinger's book explain the best way to clean parts and/or give any other specific maintenance instruction?

No, cleaning instructions aren't covered. If you need some specific instructions let me know.

Greg

MacLeod:
Thanks Rob and Greg!

Any ideas?

Thank you again!

I have Harlow's book and have seen exerts of Wolfinger's book. I also have some of the scubapro manuals by Wolfinger. My impression is that Harlow is more geared for the DIYer and Wolfinger is targeted at the LDS tech. Harlow also seems to cover more gear including tanks & valves and does address cleaning and troubleshooting. Apeks manuals are available which will give you specific service instructions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom