hard vs soft weights using a weight integrated bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lela

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I am new to scuba and in the process of getting my gear together. I've actually got two areas I need feedback on, both of which relate to weights:

My bcd is a Scubapro Ladyhawk with an integrated weight system. I am trying to find out if people have any thoughts on using hard vs. soft weights in the pouches of weight integrated systems.

Also, I'm thinking about using a weight belt as well, so that if I need to remove my bcd I have some weight holding me in place and I don't shoot for the surface. I'm pretty bouyant, with a 7 mill full body suit I seem to need about 26 lbs to keep from floating, so I want to be sure I can control that somewhat if I do need to take my bcd off. Do people do this? Is it a safety concern to do it?

So, those are my two areas: hard vs. soft weights in a weight-integrated BCD pouch; and, using both a weight integrated bcd and a weight belt.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions/experience you can share!

Soft weights in integrated pockets provide less wear/tear on the BCD. Unless the belt is going to carry the bulk (read: majority) of the weight it wont hold you down if you remove the BCD underwater. However, wearing both is not unusual at all.

Try your best to keep the majority of your weights above the waste line. Or else you will probably end up with hips down trim

I use a combination- I have back pouches in my bc and like the soft bean bags back there. I use stadard lead "chunks" in my bc pockets. Note: I wear an average of 12 lbs on cold fresh water dives and 12 to 14 on warm salt water dives- no belt.
DivemasterDennis

The most important thing about your weight distribution is your trim. You want to be trimmed so that you can be horizontal in the water without finning or skulling. In my opinion, having three dumpable weight groupings is fairly advantagous because, in an emergency, you don't have to drop all of your weight at once.

If your class is providing weights, I wouldn't buy them just yet. Soft weights can be more comfortable, but hard weights tend to be more versatile.

I've only got 120+ dives under my belt. But, I've never had to remove my BCD at depth.
I hope I never have to.
I use whatever weights the resorts have which is normally the hard brick type.

I use the intergrated pockets and back pouches because, as a small person, a weight belt "slides" on me.

thats a huge amount of weight.

more than would be comfortable in the bc alone.

soft pouches are better .
you can get belts that hold soft lead but a standard weight belt would need blocks.

Hmm you want soft weights for bc intergrated pouches.

Only time you should take your bcd off at depth is if you are doing some sort of training or in some sort of emergency. The whole point to the ditch pockets is to send you up in a emergency. So if you balance with a belt then you are impairing the goal some what :).

At depth as the neoprene compresses you will be less floaty.... It's also really common for new folks to have a lot of trapped air in their suite making it seem like they need a lot more weight. Make sure you squeeze down tight and open your neck a bit to really burp your suite well. Just a unsolicited suggestion :)

Hi, I am new to scuba and in the process of getting my gear together. I've actually got two areas I need feedback on, both of which relate to weights:

My bcd is a Scubapro Ladyhawk with an integrated weight system. I am trying to find out if people have any thoughts on using hard vs. soft weights in the pouches of weight integrated systems.

Also, I'm thinking about using a weight belt as well, so that if I need to remove my bcd I have some weight holding me in place and I don't shoot for the surface. I'm pretty bouyant, with a 7 mill full body suit I seem to need about 26 lbs to keep from floating, so I want to be sure I can control that somewhat if I do need to take my bcd off. Do people do this? Is it a safety concern to do it?

So, those are my two areas: hard vs. soft weights in a weight-integrated BCD pouch; and, using both a weight integrated bcd and a weight belt.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions/experience you can share!

Yes!

Use any form of weight the manufacturer allows (most don't care). Soft has a lot of disadvantages such as soiling, leaching and busting open more on all that here.

I agree with you insight to wear as much as possible on your body proper. I suggest integrating only weight that needs to be placed in the BC to achieve trim, keep the rest on a belt or harness. See here

While you're at it read the whole weight feature it may fill some more gaps.

26 pounds is not out of sight with the right suit, BC, and gear. Make any adjustments objectively with a procedure, not based on shot over the bow comments.

Pete

I have a Ladyhawk and have always used bricks. There is no comfort issue as far as the BC, the removable weight pockets are so stiff and constructed, I doubt if you could even tell if what was in there was soft or bricks. And you certainly can't feel what is in the trim pockets, just make sure whatever you put in there can't sneak out past the clip.

I think for cold water and more weight, splitting weight between a belt and the BC can make sense for some people. It could certainly make a ditch and don situation more manageable, though there's a good chance you will never do this after training. It's not permanent - play around and see what works for you (which may change with time, suit, tank, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom