Hard vs. Soft Weights in Ranger LTD Side/Rear pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SanFranDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any have advice/opinions regarding which type of weights work/feel better in the Ranger LTD's main side weight pockets and the rear pockets?

Thanks

As long as the weights are in the "yellow thingies", it really doesn't matter. If weights are not in the yellow pouches, soft weights can slip through the threaded ripchord release system.
When I dive cold water with a drysuit, I may use a combo of soft and hard weights. When I am instructing in the pool or our open water sight, I use soft weights. When I travel, many times the only weights available are hard weights, so I use hard weights.

I can't tell the difference between soft and hard weights in mine in the yellow pouches, using in warm water with either a 3/2 or just a rash guard.

I've also used soft and hard weights in the rear pockets and no difference there either.

Personally I like the hard but that is just because they take up less room. The only ones that seem to be an issue are the small weights, mostly the hard torpedo shaped ones. They will slip through the rip cord.

I use both interchangeably, one thing I have noticed is that using soft weights in front seems to make it slightly easier to open the front pockets when there's strain on them - like when standing in your gear before going in the water. Since I shoredive with a folding snorkel and also keep defog in a pocket, it's something I occasionally do.

For the rear, I like hard weights, IMO they may be more likely to drop when you pull the velcro tabs.

Back
Top Bottom