Hard to breathe upside down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble_Boy

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
When I'm completely upside down, my regulator gets very hard to breathe from. I was wondering if this is normal behavior for a regulator or it's just mine. I have an aqualung legend. thx!

Some regulators do have problems when completely inverted. Even though the Legend is a great Reg it may suffer from inversion problems.
I have APEKs XTX200's the're 'supposed' to flood when inverted, it's never actually happened to me.
Is it a new reg? And when was the last time you had it serviced?

I've had it for 6 months, never been serviced yet.
Usually doesn't make much sense to be completely inverted although I'll be ice diving soon and I really want to walk upside down on the ice!

Well, inhalation effort will go up with almost all regs if you invert them. The reason for this is differential pressure -- it's the same reason that regs will freeflow if held under the water with the mouthpiece pointing up, and stop if you turn them so the mouthpiece points down. The "cracking pressure" which is the reduction in pressure required to open the valve on the second stage, is usually in the range of a few cm of water. You CAN feel this difference, even though it is still perfectly possible to inhale enough to open the valve when you are inverted.

Some regulators also breathe wet when upside down.

my old beauchat breathes like a crappy snorkle at the best of times....only horizontal, looking downish does it stay completely dry. Pool Reg. I've never had a wet breathe with my apeks ds4 & atx50 second stage in any position. Ocean Reg!

My Legend does the same thing.Nothing to worry about.

All regulators which I've used are at least slightly "wetter" to breathe from when inverted. However, there can be a big difference between regs. When I dive an AquaLung Legend, the problem is not nearly as bad as with my AquaLung Titan. When I dive my Apeks ATX 200, it is even less noticeable.

I notice that when inverted such that my feet point to the sky, that it is bit harder to exhale. That's not the reg, but just the fact that my mouth is at the deepest point.

When supine (stretched out horizontally, face up towards the surface) the cracking pressure on the reg increases, making inhalation a bit harder. I don't notice any difference in exhalation in that position.... if anything exhaling is a bit easier.

The above comments are my recollection from doing the upside down thing just yesterday, while getting bored during a long stop trying to get my computer to clear back fully into the green after being only 5 minutes from deco at 55' on my 2nd dive of the day. Unfortunately, I didn't read this post until afterwards, otherwise I would have paid more attention to how everything felt in the various positions.

One other problem I've noted when doing an upside down safety stop is that I tend to float upwards when my feet are pointing at the surface. I think that the increased exhalation effort lead to having more air, on the average, in my lungs. I had to release a bit of air from the BCD to stay at a constant 12'.

My Atomics B1 2nd stage has very good exhaust valve and is nice and dry in all orientations.

I have a Legend LX and I don't notice much (if any) difference when I'm upside down, but there is a hugh difference when I roll over on my back (so to speak) looking at the roof of a lava tube and such. I really have to draw the air out. Not a big deal once you are aware of it, but the first few times got my attention!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom