Hard-soled boots & fins for shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LiveTheDream

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Gearing up, time is approaching quickly.

I know I need some boots with more of a firm/hard sole for shore entries, and presumably new fins fit with them.

Thoughts?

Also, last time I dove 2 weeks straight, 2-3 times a day I ended up with raw, bloody toes (on top of each toe middle joint). Anyone have a good trick to prevent that? Moleskin, lots of band-aids?

Looking forward to your input.

There'll be more posts coming about gear, wet suits & BCD's (leaning toward Zeagle Zena.

Thanks for your input.

Lots of heavy soled boots out there. I got Seasoft Sunrays because I'd seen them suggested for a bit of arch support, and they are certainly better then others I've had. I've never been crazy about heavier soled boots but I find these pretty comfortable.

Try some kind of socks under your booties to help prevent rubbing. Lycra, thin neoprene, or even regular cheap nylon socks. Using a harder sole boot may even help some by itself.

+1 on the Seasoft Sunrays. Wifebuddy wore those on Curacao. I sported a pair of OTB Abyss. Next time I might bring a pair of Seasoft instead.

We traveled with pairs of Hollis F2 fins. Light weight and stiff.

I use Bare's 3mm tropical boot and OMS Slipstreams. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

Most any type of sock will help. I'm a big fan of XS Scuba beefy socks. Wish they made hard soled boots in wider widths. It doesn't bother me in soft soled boots, but going up a size to get wider hard soled boots is a pain. I'm currently sporting Akona 3.5mm Low-Cut Molded Sole Boot. They are O.K.. Not expensive. Closest fit for width that I tried without being clown shoes. Probably not forever, but what is...

My Bonaire (and everywhere else) boots - TUSA Imprex 5 mm Neoprene Boots, Black

For Bonaire I like the tread pattern on the bottom and that the higher cut helps keep my ankles un-scratched.

One thing to consider buying fins is that on most Bonaire dives you'll be putting them on in slightly deeper water.
Often after you've climbed over the in-water ironshore you step down into 3-4' of water and put on your boots - sometimes floating.

Last edited:
After I tried thick-soled boots for Bonaire, it's all I use now. Much more support for my feet and helps me fill the foot pocket of the fin (small feet). I have the Mares Trilastic 5 mm boots.

The only reason that you would need new fins is if the thick soles make your current fin's foot pocket too tight. My partner had to move up a size in fins when he switched. (Or if you just need an excuse for new fins :wink:)

As for socks, I started with cheap sports socks. More cushion. Just make sure there is no cotton. I recently changed to wool socks. Love it.

I wear Converse Chucks! They fit perfectly in my fins, I can wear neoprene socks with them, and they have amazing soles/tread for anything Bonaire throws at you. Plus since they're shoes, I don't get the sore spots sometimes associated with dive booties.

I use whites rock boots. They are hard and comfortable. I do need a slightly larger pair of fins tho.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

I started out with the Seasoft Sunray boots for my first trip. Switched to the SEAC 6mm hard sole boots on trip 2. Haven't touched the Sunray boots since. I love the high ankle support and the arch.

Back
Top Bottom