Hard sided luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased another one of these today, cost a couple bucks more but it has wheels:

I think I have 8 of those sitting in my shed out back. We shipped trunk after trunk of stuff home from deployments in them.

@ =C=
@ firediver

I've stumbled upon your posts belatedly. I see you've both been into Walmart checking out these storage chests (totes). Walmart is not real close to me, so I'm less familiar with their stuff. I'm planning to buy one of these totes from them. Before I do, I just noticed this similar / additional tote on their site - do either of you know anything about this 'Sterilite' tote? Better? Worse? Equal to?

Price is similar on both of them so that is not a factor. I 'think' but can't confirm that they weight about the same. Size is nearly identical. Both have wheels.

I have two generations of Rubbermaid ActionPacker. The current generation doesn't take as much 'baggage handler abuse' as the older model. One trip and it's got numerous dings in the bottom - makes me nervous. And, none of the ActionPackers have wheels. The ActionPackers weigh about 10.5 lbs - I think that's almost what the Contico and Sterilite weigh - and they have wheels !

Here's another thing I love about these large cases:
I get a room with a large shower and a bath height spigot. I stick the empty tote in the shower, fill it with water. Voila, I've got my own dunk tank. It is so much better than stooping around the community dunk tank soaking my stuff in the already dirty community water! Here's the Sterilite from Walmart:

LG1_18426402.jpg

Just came upon this thread as I've been looking for a carry-on sized 22" soft-sided roller for domestic (and limited international) flights. With the increase in baggage fees (and weight restrictions), I've stopped using my trusty Pelican 1650 for my dive equipment (which has a nice patina of scratches and dings, but has never failed to protect what's inside) and have been looking for a suitable soft sided roller. Basically I wand my BCD, 2 masks, Octo, wetsuit and a few accessories to fit and have some padding for a little protection, and functional wheels/handle for me to get around. I doubt my fins would fit inside, so I'm planning on strapping them to the outside of the bag and stuffing them in the overhead. A water resistant/proof liner would be a plus so I could use it in between beach dives and hotel and keep my rental seats dry.

I searched high and low. Luggage stores, online retailers, reviews, etc...I've purchased at least 20 different bags I thought might be close, to come home and try to fit my gear in or examine closer only to return them.

In the end, I narrowed it down to the North Face small rolling thunder and OGIO 22" Ascender. the Victorinox models came close, but I eventually eliminated them due to the price. At $500+ they're pricey and the handles seemed a little bit too fragile.

TNF has a nicer/beefier handle and water resistant/proof material. There are a ton of online complaints about the material wearing out around the edges and seams, so this worried me about gate checking for small island flights. I bought one regardless but will be holding off on using/testing it since it's my second choice. My gear fits inside and the outside webbing has hooks to attach a strap and hold my fins. Looses points since it doesn't expand. $250 and lifetime warranty (although it excludes "normal wear" which is where most of the complaints are).

The OGIO seemed to be a better all around bag. I've been a huge fan of their backpacks and duffel bags for years, and I know most of the pro action athletes use their 9800 line of bags for traveling and gear and they all rave about it. Handle seems to be sturdier than most brands on the market, but then again TNF handle is probably way overkill. Removable rollerblade wheels are a huge plus (replace with new wheels at any sporting goods store in the world while traveling), zippers are heavy duty, some internal compartment separation for organization. The bag zips in half with mesh trim over the upper half so it'll be easy to open to get to my gear, and store wetsuit/towel in the upper half. It is a little taller than I'd like, but has external duffel bag like handles when it's laying down (big plus for carrying fins or for picking it up to put in my trunk.). Also bonus points for the expansion zipper in case I need to bring home something extra. I bought it and will be traveling with it next week to test it out for the first time. My gear all fits with room to spare, my only complaint is the material isn't going to offer the same level of waterproof as TNF model. Paid less than $200 at ebags.com and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Will post a follow-up next month when I get back from my trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom