Happy to always dive advanced within recreational limits, forever ? [Poll]

Advanced diver, do you have any plans to move eventually to "technical" diving ?

• n/a

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I already do "technical" dives.

Votes: 90 26.8%
  • Yes, as soon as possible.

Votes: 40 11.9%
  • 50-50 chance.

Votes: 35 10.4%
  • Probably not, but time will tell.

Votes: 82 24.4%
  • No intent whatsoever.

Votes: 78 23.2%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 10 3.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for clarifying that your "3 hour dive" includes mandatory decompression stops of about an hour "which is nothing because you sleep". So your 3 hours becomes 2 hours of diving plus 1 hour "sleeping on the line" vs my 1.5 hours of no stop diving separated by an hour in the sun. Do you really fall asleep on the line like you said or is that sarcasm? Because if you fall asleep you can easily not wake up and DROWN.

I'd rather hang on a sunny dive boat with my buddies for an hour than sleep on a line in the middle of the ocean.

Nothing else in your response merits further comment. There isn't really all that much to gain using technical scuba gear on a dive like the SG, at least not for the reasons you provide in your post and in your response to mine, other than your questionable statement that you don't get cold after spending up to 4 HOURS at depth in water temperatures that on the SG average in the high 70s.

It's about 30 minutes of deco on CCR considering multilevel diving. I've done this more than a dozen times. 2.5hours of bottom time vs 30 minutes (x2) or less for most.

Thank you for clarifying that your "3 hour dive" includes mandatory decompression stops of about an hour "which is nothing because you sleep". So your 3 hours becomes 2 hours of diving plus 1 hour "sleeping on the line" vs my 1.5 hours of no stop diving separated by an hour in the sun. Do you really fall asleep on the line like you said or is that sarcasm? Because if you fall asleep you can easily not wake up and DROWN.

I'd rather hang on a sunny dive boat with my buddies for an hour than sleep on a line in the middle of the ocean.

Nothing else in your response merits further comment. There isn't really all that much to gain using technical scuba gear on a dive like the SG, at least not for the reasons you provide in your post and in your response to mine, other than your questionable statement that you don't get cold after spending up to 4 HOURS at depth in water temperatures that on the SG average in the high 70s.

Switch it to the Oriskany if you like. I was just giving ONE example. But at $200 instead of $85, it just hits my point home all the more. I used to make 4 hour dives in 30 degree water. 80 degree in a drysuit is nothing. Yes, I easily have 1000 hours sleeping underwater.

And yes, that's Fahrenheit not Celcius

I haven't looked into tech diving because 1) like @Rred it didn't exist when I was certified, 2) like @TMHeimer I feel there is an added expense and risk for tech diving, which I'm not ready to incur. It is my understanding, AND I MAY BE WRONG, that just to take the training for certifications, I would need the means to carry doubles, extra regs, and more than one course. I would rather spend that money on more dives blowing bubbles in the aquarium watching fishes and sharks and rays and turtles swim by. If I were 30 and making the kind of money I was making even 10 or 15 years ago, I MIGHT go for it now, but I didn't then - so maybe not. It's not for everyone. It's kind of like my other expensive hobby - amateur radio. It can be VERY expensive, there is something for everyone, AND it's not for everyone.

Cheers -

So far, not a lot beyond recreational limits calls to me, and what does isn't something I'd do often enough to merit the investment in time/effort/training/travel/money, etc..., to achieve the knowledge and skill base I might not use often enough to maintain.

In a nutshell, one of my bucket list goals is to someday dive the Oriskany wreck, for the somewhat vain reason it's associated with Pensacola, FL, and I'm told I was born on a Navy base in Pensacola when Dad was doing 4-years enlisted service. Sort of a novelty. If I ever do, it'd be nice to swoop down and touch/stand on the flight deck without 'cheating,' but then again, how much investment would that be worth, when I'd probably then go back to standard recreational diving?

But that's about who I am, where I'm at in Life and my practical opportunities.

Richard.

I was born on a Navy base in Pensacola when Dad was doing 4-years enlisted service
I have a son who was born on a Navy base in Pensacola while I was enlisted. He has a young daughter as do you. He lives somewhere north of me as do you. I never see them - same as you. Are you my son???? :rofl3:

Cheers -

...//... In a nutshell, one of my bucket list goals is to someday dive the Oriskany wreck, for the somewhat vain reason it's associated with Pensacola, FL, and I'm told I was born on a Navy base in Pensacola when Dad was doing 4-years enlisted service. Sort of a novelty. If I ever do, it'd be nice to swoop down and touch/stand on the flight deck without 'cheating,' ...
Totally righteous goal. It is all about the journey, No?

Slightly similarly, I wanted to dive the Algol just to be on the ship that a serious nutcase author served on. I did, it was a most memorable dive.

Are you my son????

Nah, afraid my parents have to claim me; too much family resemblance. I was raised in Arkansas. It's a running family joke; people ask me where I'm from (after hearing me talk), and I say 'Florida,' and walk off. They look perplexed and ask my wife 'He doesn't sound like he's from Florida...'

Richard.

I'm still only OW certified but I already can't wait to get into technical diving. I know it will be a while though. The thought of diving in places nobody else has and staying down for hours, along with the technical knowledge part is calling to me.

I mean, diving to 60' is really cool and I'm certainly not bored with it, but diving to 200fsw and shining a light into areas never before seen by a human seems like a worthy life goal.

So far, not a lot beyond recreational limits calls to me, and what does isn't something I'd do often enough to merit the investment in time/effort/training/travel/money, etc..., to achieve the knowledge and skill base I might not use often enough to maintain.

In a nutshell, one of my bucket list goals is to someday dive the Oriskany wreck, for the somewhat vain reason it's associated with Pensacola, FL, and I'm told I was born on a Navy base in Pensacola when Dad was doing 4-years enlisted service. Sort of a novelty. If I ever do, it'd be nice to swoop down and touch/stand on the flight deck without 'cheating,' but then again, how much investment would that be worth, when I'd probably then go back to standard recreational diving?

But that's about who I am, where I'm at in Life and my practical opportunities.

Richard.
I believe the top of the Big O is within rec. depths. Would you be interested in just that?
Yeah, just checked-- 80'.
Flight deck at 145'--so, cheat for 2 minutes.....

Yes. My main issue is I'd need to put in for time off, book airfare and a hotel room, fly down to do the dives (maybe a long weekend or something?), and run the substantial risk of being blown out by bad weather.

I've got a number of 'pressures' on what to do with vacation time, when I can get some approved, and with family money of course. Anything I might do has to be weighed against other options. So far, that's kept me from pursuing it more aggressively.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom