Happy to always dive advanced within recreational limits, forever ? [Poll]

Advanced diver, do you have any plans to move eventually to "technical" diving ?

• n/a

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I already do "technical" dives.

Votes: 90 26.8%
  • Yes, as soon as possible.

Votes: 40 11.9%
  • 50-50 chance.

Votes: 35 10.4%
  • Probably not, but time will tell.

Votes: 82 24.4%
  • No intent whatsoever.

Votes: 78 23.2%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 10 3.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't consider myself a technical diver. I dive air (unless Nitrox is free on a liveaboard). I have done numerous deco dives including many to 200 fsw on air, but they were all for a specific purpose. Most of my dives today are well within recreational limits since I enjoy more bottom time for filming.

I was satisfied with my OW card for several hundred dives until I was told I would need an Advanced card for a trip. An instructor at the shop I worked for offered my then wife and me classes from AOW through Assistant Instructor at cost if we helped with his classes. It sounded like a good deal at the time.
Years later I began making dives beyond 200 feet every week. These days most of my dives are single tank recreational depth dives, but I'm happy to have been able to visit some of the reefs and wrecks that I never would have been able to do without training.

I started diving in the 1960's, and went through all 2 of the recreational training level / ratings of the time: scuba diver and instructor. I actually did some of what is now called technical diving in the 70s without any extra training or certification, but I did have a copy of the 1970 U.S. Navy Diving Manual. Now, having recently passed age 70, I have acquired some technical training and certifications. @Superlyte27 said it...I want to spend more time on some specific wrecks. The primary one in my case is USS Oriskany, having spent some considerable time operating airplanes on and off of carriers in the 1970s, but the Spiegel Grove is also an excellent example.

On a recent dive we swam from the stern mooring, through the wreck almost to the bow and back again. Yes, on one dive we saw most of the wreck.

Bwuahaha...
LOL... Uh, no.

As a shell collector, there just aren't enough species that reside below the rec. limit to justify the added risk and expense of tech. diving.

I'll play Devils Advocate here. Having done the Spiegel Grove multiple times and being a non-deco recreational diver my experience differs from your description in many ways.

1- I don't drive all that distance and wait all year just to dive the SG. I plan a dive trip that will be perhaps 12-18 dives over 5-7 days. I do other things during the trip such as dining out and sightseeing and just plain relaxing so it's not "all about the diving" although it's "mostly about the diving".

2- My dives on the SG average about 40-45 minutes because most of what is to be seen on that wreck is in the 60-80' range. In my opinion 40 minutes might as well be 20 minutes. The dive has to be longer than the drive. I'd rather climb a ladder once per day than three times per day. Being aware of depths and maximizing bottom times by staying a bit shallower on average can make quite the difference. 2 - 45 minute dives on the wreck are more than enough for me. I was a boat captain in Key Largo, most tourists aren't actually doing 40 minutes. On a recent dive we swam from the stern mooring, through the wreck almost to the bow and back again. Yes, on one dive we saw most of the wreck. Not possible when you're checking out every deck.

3- It can also get somewhat chilly when you're in the water close to an hour or more. I don't mind the SI to relax and warm up and enjoy some time in the sun. I've never been chilly in 80 degree water, even during 4 hour dives.

4- I have no interest in hanging on a line for an hour looking at nothing but an occasional passing jellyfish. I bore easily. I sleep and an hour is NOTHING.

5- Totally not worth the expense and extra gear and the weight of the additional tank. Besides where does a technical diver on vacation rent a rebreather or double tank rig anyway? Technical destinations have doubles to rent. Rebreathers are such that they can fly with you.

6- So my bottom time is about 1.5 hours vs your 3 hours. It's not clear to me if you are including deco stops in that 3 hours, if so it's a no brainer that it's not worth the extra trouble to tech dive under those conditions. Even if the deco stops are over and above the 3 hours it's still not worth it. That's a ton of time in the water. Some people would rather be in the water than surrounded by people seasick on the surface. Also are the other non deco divers sitting there waiting for you to decompress after the second dive when everyone wants to head back to the dock? If you're the first person in the water, and the last person out of the water, people aren't waiting for anyone. It takes roughly an hour to get everyone in and out of the water. There's another hour for SI, then another hour to get everyone in and out of the water. 3 hours. I've done this enough that my dive profile/plan balances with the last person on the mooring line waiting for the ladder. Add in the fact that technical divers typically gear up and stow gear than the other divers, and no one really waits on us.

In my opinion, there's so much wrong with this (at least for me), I don't know where to start. My responses are in Blue

As a shell collector, there just aren't enough species that reside below the rec. limit to justify the added risk and expense of tech. diving.

It's certainly not for everyone. Shell collecting is just about as exciting as stamp collecting to me. But on the other hand, some people think doing 7 hours of deco is nuts.

Many years ago I was on a boat in the St. Lawrence. Two technical divers were gearing up on the back of the boat to do the deep channel drift. They had doubles and two deco stages. I thought to myself that is too much. I don't want to do that.

Now I do that dive with that gear configuration almost every week.

Just because "technical" isn't what you want now, doesn't mean it won't be at some point in the future. Or not.

I used to dive double 120s and deco bottles every dive for many years. I went back to diving a single 130 for most of my diving for about five years. I found a WWI U-boat and strapped on my deco gear again and was shocked at how heavy everything was when I got in the water. It was worth the effort to make the dives but I do enjoy my single tank dives even more now.

In my opinion 40 minutes might as well be 20 minutes. The dive has to be longer than the drive. I'd rather climb a ladder once per day than three times per day

In my opinion, there's so much wrong with this (at least for me), I don't know where to start. My responses are in Blue

I agree with most everything you said. BUT, that part is bold is, to ME, a very (VERY) jaded view of things. :D

My current limit is that I'm not going to drive 8 hours to do 1 dive. But, if it's a decent dive site and I can get in 2 dives, then I'm in. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom