Happy October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No current at the Villa yesterday lots of current at the south end of the island today.

No current at the Villa yesterday lots of current at the south end of the island today.

Any must see things shore diving at the villa? We're hoping to do a night dive when we get there, then 5 days of boat diving with some afternoon shore dives thrown in. If there are octopus around...my wife will probably just sleep in the water. Do you just keep your gear bag with you when you get done boat diving?

Thanks,
Jay

They actually have a nice wall the only problem is it is 300+ yards offshore the strip before the wall averages about 12' deep so a long swim to get there and back.

Any must see things shore diving at the villa? We're hoping to do a night dive when we get there, then 5 days of boat diving with some afternoon shore dives thrown in. If there are octopus around...my wife will probably just sleep in the water. Do you just keep your gear bag with you when you get done boat diving?

Thanks,
Jay

The Villa can be a nice shore dive for playing around although like @WarrenZ said it is pretty shallow. Closer to the seawall/shore, there are usually octopus. It's nice because it's shallow so you can do some LONG dives just playing around the Villa at night.

The actual wall / dropoff from the Villa is a far swim (~15 minutes there and back over an area with lots of boat traffic) which I wouldn't recommend doing at night but it can be accomplished during day if your air consumption is good.

Usually I would just keep my dive gear bag with me at the end of the day if I wanted to do a dive at the Villa. There are typically tanks available at VIlla, if not just tell the dive shop or Villa.

Thanks,
Jay
Hi Jay!
The shallow poke-around dive in front of the Villa can bring big rewards. There are lots of beautiful juvenile fish, parrotfish, plenty of eels - spotted morays, goldentails, sharptails, sometimes chain morays - seahorses for the sharp-eyed, webbed burrfish, flying gurnards... If you're really lucky, you might get one of the passing big schools of filefish, jacks, tangs...
By the PVC ladder there is a small cave of glassy sweepers and other dark loving creatures.
It's an active environment!
Your wife's pillow is going to get soggy. A couple of hours of night dive is easy accomplished, for the motivated. Three of us stretched our tanks beyond that mark and lost count of the octopuses we saw. From one that would have strained to reach the edges of a quarter to big reef and common octopus, they were all out and active. Spanish dancers, mating crabs, juvenile lobsters, hunting eels...
So, yeah. Hang onto your gear at least once or twice and hit it at the Villa.

Please freeze 2 margaritas to be thawed the evening of the 27th!

Jay
Somehow, I'll bet some Dave's killer margaritas can be had while you're here!
Your first Villa stay?

Yes, first villa stay. 15 days!!!!! The way this month is going, I may not come back! Maybe Dave needs an American farm Attorney at the Villa.....

Thanks for the response!

Jay

Yes, first villa stay. 15 days!!!!! The way this month is going, I may not come back! Maybe Dave needs an American farm Attorney at the Villa.....

Thanks for the response!

Jay
It's like staying at your buddy's beach house. :)
And I found that if you say it enough times, you eventually don't go back. :daydream:
American farm attorney... I'm thinking that might be an unfilled niche in Cozumel...
My pleasure on the response. I enjoyed reliving some of a grand night dive.
Looking forward to meeting you guys in a few days!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom