Hans Hass fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElChe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few months ago I bought this pair of fins, made by Semperit. It is called Hans Hass System, and I found similar fins only in very old dive equipment catalogs. Were they marketed in the US? I'm really proud of these and I wasn't brave enough to try them but I would like to know is it a rare item? The fins are in excellent condition, so first I thought it's a very late reproduction of the original fins- or maybe the owner hasn't ever used them.
hansh_f_01.jpghansh_f_02.jpg

I bought it for about 10 usd. I think the seller was a tire dealer who had some old rubber stuffs in the shed.:)

A few months ago I bought this pair of fins, made by Semperit. It is called Hans Hass System, and I found similar fins only in very old dive equipment catalogs. Were they marketed in the US? I'm really proud of these and I wasn't brave enough to try them but I would like to know is it a rare item? The fins are in excellent condition, so first I thought it's a very late reproduction of the original fins- or maybe the owner hasn't ever used them.

Thank you for posting a non-regulator thread that's European-oriented to boot! I'm pretty sure you have an original pair of early-1950s Hans Hass fins there. These fins are featured in the German Barakuda catalogue of 1953:
Barakuda_1.jpg
and the undated English C. E. Heinke catalogue of the mid-fifties:
HansHass4.jpg
As the years elapsed in the 1950s, Heinke brought out an adjustable version as an alternative to the fixed-heel model:
HansHass2.jpgHansHass1.jpg
HansHass3.jpg
Heinke made wet and dry suits, hence the advice about fitting fins to footed suits. Finally, Heinke merged with its rival, Siebe-Gorman, in the early 1960s and the successor fins to the Hans Hass adjustable and non-adjustable fins were Explorer (with extended heel-pad) and Sea Hunter fins, both models adjustable and supplied with open toes for added comfort:
HansHass5.jpg
The Hans Hass System range was discontinued by Siebe-Heinke in the mid-1960s.

Wow, it's quite exciting. Thanks for the additions! Certainly my vintage dive equipments are mostly European items, but I think this can be the most interesting one.

Hello Elche I have a pair also. I think yours are newer maybe 60's from the system logo. I believe mine are from the 50's. Either way they are rare fins. You did great! Click for other pic.

I regularly browse the local auction site's listings for rarities. Recently I found some really old-school diving masks, one of them seems like Mike Nelson's.:)
By the way the Semperit is an Austrian company, and because Professor Hass is Austrian as well, easy to find the connection.

---------- Post Merged on September 27th, 2012 at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous Post was on September 26th, 2012 at 03:51 PM ----------

This is the mask I mentioned, it's French, the manufacturer was Match. I especially like the white rubber.

Attachments

• match_mask.jpg
    match_mask.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
This is the mask I mentioned, it's French, the manufacturer was Match. I especially like the white rubber.

Congratulations on your purchase. White rubber diving gear certainly stands out and I'm very fond of my (modern) Japanese-made white Gull Mew fins.

Jopen Match of Marseilles in the south of France was a manufacturer of masks and fins. There's an interesting collection of vintage European masks at

MASQUES - PLONGEE COLLECTION

including Match Ovale and Rectangle masks.

The "palmes" page on the website features several pairs of Jopen Match fins:

PALMES - PLONGEE COLLECTION

Attachments

• 20080807180800.jpg
    20080807180800.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 252
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom