Hanging a Strobe for UW Navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bopper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone tried hanging a strobe such as this one (Jotron Xenon Marker Light MF1112) from a boat to assist in navigating back to the boat? Maybe attach it to the anchor line or rear steps. If so, what would you estimate the max distance you could see the strobe with a viz of 30ft? Also, was it still effective in bright daylight? jotron_strobe.jpeg

I have dove a couple times on a boat where they put one down near the anchor. This was done by the DM with a club that was also on the boat. Vis was so so (10-15 ft) in 50 ft of water. Overcast day so there was not a lot of light. It may not do much on a bright day in the Keys but it did make the anchor line easier to find during daylight on an inshore dive in NC. Could notice it maybe twice what the viz was. Maybe a tad more.

I have dove a couple times on a boat where they put one down near the anchor. This was done by the DM with a club that was also on the boat. Vis was so so (10-15 ft) in 50 ft of water. Overcast day so there was not a lot of light. It may not do much on a bright day in the Keys but it did make the anchor line easier to find during daylight on an inshore dive in NC. Could notice it maybe twice what the viz was. Maybe a tad more.

I'll second what Steve said. Often times diving a wreck in New England that I'm not familiar with I'll toss a strobe on the anchor line. It's useful when there is little to no ambient light at depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caution/Note - that model is discontinued. We use the AQ-4, it is specifically intended for diving.... not quite as nice though in regard to universal attachment... All comments above are valid. We use them here in the Great Lakes....

Back
Top Bottom