Looking for recommendations for Super Bright UW Strobe light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gqllc007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Princeton UW single AA battery Strobe light (not for photography) I would like a marker for underwater anchor line. It is bright but not extremely bright. Anyone know of an extremely bright UW strobe light? Price not much of an issue. Thanks in advance

The Lightmonkey BAF is the brightest one on the market, I believe.

It could be a pretty easy project to DIY something extremely bright. You could put something like SKYSPORTS BRIGHT STAR STROBE - CLEAR | Aircraft Spruce and a 12v battery in a clear acrylic tube with caps on the ends. It wouldn't even need an external waterproof switch if you open it topside to turn it on and off.

BigBlue 1300-Lumen STROBE

The Lightmonkey is 8600 lumens.

I think the Trojan Classic II is 4000 lumens, but that is from memory and I can't find confirmation on that.

No idea what the Trojan Extreme is.

The fact that Trojan doesn't seem to list a spec for how bright their strobes are really puts me off. I probably wouldn't buy a Trojan just because of that.

I researched strobes last year and ended up buying the LM. I haven't used it that much, but no issues with it, so far.

The Lightmonkey is 8600 lumens.

I think the Trojan Classic II is 4000 lumens, but that is from memory and I can't find confirmation on that.

No idea what the Trojan Extreme is.

The fact that Trojan doesn't seem to list a spec for how bright their strobes are really puts me off. I probably wouldn't buy a Trojan just because of that.

I researched strobes last year and ended up buying the LM. I haven't used it that much, but no issues with it, so far.[/Q

Make me rethink the 1300 lumen purchase. 8600! Wow...

Lumens on strobes are even more confusing and dubious to spec than constant output lights, which are a already often a crapshoot. It's tough to measure and compare, and you can strobe an LED far brighter than its rated constant output. The oldschool xenon tube strobes still appear MUCH brighter than LEDs, though LEDs are likely more durable and reliable which has always been an issue with these things. Still, I'm not sold on the less-bright LED versions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom