Hanauma Bay - Oahu Diving Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone hear how deep he was found? Was he discovered by a lifeguard using little equipment?

Well, that's a lot of guessing, even tho possible. I just hate reading about loss after loss happening for one reason or possibly another, panic sometime evident other times possible, and diver after diver drowns without ever dropping weights or couldn't in one recent injury discussed here. But we never read about anyone who did drop weights do we? Seems to be a theme failure there.

The Witches Brew only gets to about 25 fsw, any deeper and you're either not in the witches brew or you're drilling through coral.

Peace,
Greg

But we never read about anyone who did drop weights do we? Seems to be a theme failure there.

Why is that? I mean are the weights really so expensive that people would rather drown than lose them? No disrespect to the individual or surviving friends and family, but I have to agree with you, we see this alot.

For God's sake, drop those weights when you need to.

Just my $.02

Why is that? I mean are the weights really so expensive that people would rather drown than lose them? No disrespect to the individual or surviving friends and family, but I have to agree with you, we see this alot.

For God's sake, drop those weights when you need to.

Just my $.02
I suspect that the idea never enters the mind of many. Did it once in OW class then never again, so when caca hits fan - panic prevents the idea from arising. In a few cases we read that there were problems attempting to do so.

I suspect that the idea never enters the mind of many. Did it once in OW class then never again, so when caca hits fan - panic prevents the idea from arising. In a few cases we read that there were problems attempting to do so.

1+.

In the "near incidents" I've witnessed at the surface over the years, a diver can get in trouble, forgets to or cannot inflate their BC, begins to panic and completely forgets their training. It seems that every year several divers drown this way. Often within a stone's throw of shore or a dive boat.

If a buddy is there, alert, and close enough to get them calmed enough to drop their weights (or do it for them) they live.... if not, we read about it here.

Best wishes.

Lifeguards had no equipment other than a surfboard. I am not sure on the depth of that bay but it isn't very deep. In fact you can see fish swimming in the bay from the top of the hill leading to the visitors center.

It's been over 20 years since I snorkeled the bay on a few trips so my memory is not reliable, and I never knew how deep it was in front of the reef. I was the only snorkeler who followed the cable thru the break the times I did, but really enjoyed it out there with the larger fishes and somewhat deeper free diving. I was quite ignorant and foolish in those days, out there in my sports store gear, no inflatable vest, no knowledge of shallow water blackout - again surviving times I probly shouldn't have. I did figure I was really on my own out there tho, too far from the lifeguards even tho they probly were aware and watching me, but I didn't really think they could get to me quickly if needed so didn't push it too much.

I would think that scuba divers shore diving there have to know that they are on their own really. Is there ever bad viz there tho?
1+.

In the "near incidents" I've witnessed at the surface over the years, a diver can get in trouble, forgets to or cannot inflate their BC, begins to panic and completely forgets their training. It seems that every year several divers drown this way. Often within a stone's throw of shore or a dive boat.

If a buddy is there, alert, and close enough to get them calmed enough to drop their weights (or do it for them) they live.... if not, we read about it here.

Best wishes.
On my home bud's first trip to Coz after getting certified, then not diving for a couple of years, then overweighting with a little rental BC, on one surfacing he took his reg out but then started gasping in the small waves. Told him 3 times to put the reg back in his mouth before he did and was just about to dip down and drop his. Two of many points I like to remind us of anytime he goes are to keep his reg in until he's boarded and drilling on weight dropping on the first dive.

This continues to bother me...
But we never read about anyone who did drop weights do we? Seems to be a theme failure there

....On my home bud's first trip to Coz after getting certified, then not diving for a couple of years, then overweighting with a little rental BC, on one surfacing he took his reg out but then started gasping in the small waves. Told him 3 times to put the reg back in his mouth before he did and was just about to dip down and drop his. Two of many points I like to remind us of anytime he goes are to keep his reg in until he's boarded and drilling on weight dropping on the first dive.

This continues to bother me...

He was lucky to have you as a buddy Don :thumb: .

Of the near-misses I've seen, it usually is just a simple problem/mistake that starts it:

1.) Overweighted by several pounds (this is a chronic problem with MANY divers).

2.) Then forgot to inflate BC, or couldn't for some reason.

3.) Regulator not in mouth. They now realize they are in trouble, are not sure why, but are completely focused on keeping their face above water, are now afraid, and forget they have a regulator.

4.) Inhale a bit of water when a small wave hits their face.

5.) Uncontrolled coughing, inhale more water ----> Full Panic.

It happens very quickly, and putting the reg back in the mouth and/or dropping weights just does not reach the top of their list of priorities until it is too late.

The thing is, it is not just brand new divers; I've seen this happen with divers who'd simply gotten "rusty" from not diving for a few years.

Sorry for the hijack.... over-weighting of divers in basic OW is one of my "soap boxes".

Back on topic.

Best wishes.

He was lucky to have you as a buddy Don
We were lucky I got that one right. We've both trained a lot more since, but complacency continues to be our big risk.
Of the near-misses I've seen, it usually is just a simple problem/mistake that starts it:

1.) Overweighted by several pounds (this is a chronic problem with MANY divers).

2.) Then forgot to inflate BC, or couldn't for some reason.

3.) Regulator not in mouth. They now realize they are in trouble, are not sure why, but are completely focused on keeping their face above water, are now afraid, and forget they have a regulator.

4.) Inhale a bit of water when a small wave hits their face.

5.) Uncontrolled coughing, inhale more water ----> Full Panic.

It happens very quickly, and putting the reg back in the mouth and/or dropping weights just does not reach the top of their list of priorities until it is too late.

The thing is, it is not just brand new divers; I've seen this happen with divers who'd simply gotten "rusty" from not diving for a few years.

Sorry for the hijack.... over-weighting of divers in basic OW is one of my "soap boxes".

Back on topic.

Best wishes.
Not a hijack at all. May not be what happened on this accident, but some of it or variations might apply. It wouldn't take long to find a long list of too recent threads in this forum where much of this does. I am hesitant to tell others on a boat how to dive as I am far from a good example at times, but sometimes I'll work reminders into the conversations, or ask a boat pick buddy...
How do you feel about keeping your reg in your mouth until fully boarded?

Pardon my curiosity, but when is the last time you dropped weights as a practice?​
I often try to help with divers reboarding since I'm such an air hog and usually one of the first, and many a trip I've suggested "reg back in mouth" at the ladder. Once it turned out to be an Inst trying to give directions to a student tho, so - who knows when?

I would think that scuba divers shore diving there have to know that they are on their own really. Is there ever bad viz there tho?

Yes, believe it or not. The cables run right between the reef that heads towards the witches brew and the big open sandy patch in the middle of the bay. Of days of rougher swell/surf it can get quite cloudy. Went diving there a few weeks ago and it wasn't too fun, and that was counting the time before we got there. I'd say 30 feet of vis maybe.

Oh...you meant bad viz on the world's scale, not Hawaii scale. Sorry :D . It can get freaky in certain places, especially when trying to exit through the break, whitewater comes to mind. That's why I end my dives with 800 PSI at that particular site, so that everyone should have enough gas to make it back through the break.

I wouldn't be worried so much about the vis as I would the current, I've had to search to find bad viz here on Oahu. Either that or create it.

Peace,
Greg

You can see from the picture someone provided earlier, that sand travels through those channels and you can see that happening in the picture. I can imagine with the tide is moving in or out, viz is going to go down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom