Hanauma Bay night-dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

following is a re-post from "site reviews"

Hanauma Bay -- depth 60ft, viz 50-100ft, entry/exit in front of the second life-guard-tower.
get there early, park you car and just lock your gear in it for now.
go to the ticket booth and get your admission ticket.
[residents of Hawaii are free, tourists fee is $5]
watch the "mandatory" 10 minute "don't touch the reef/fish" video.
[get the stamp on your hand after the movie]
walk down to the tram-shuttle loading area and buy a tram-pass for $2
[ensure to get the wrist-band]
also, purchase round-trip tickets for each tank you plan to use.
[it's $1 per tank, per trip... so $2 round-trip per tank]
[or... don't pay for the tram and just lug the stuff 150 yards
down AND up the 50% grade]
now, walk back to your car and gear up.
go back to the tram and ride it down.
walk past the showers, to the second life-guard-tower.
spot the orange-buoys ["basket-balls"] and enter the water.
swim to the "basket-balls" and find the gap in the rocks just past there.
surface swim past the inner reef break and pick-up the Trans-Pacific-Telephone-Cable
[you'll see two cables side-by-side on the bottom beginning at the rock-gap]
submerge around the mooring-buoy (for your dive flag) or in about 15-20 feet of water.
follow the cable out 'til half-a-tank.
[usually coincident with reaching 60 feet in depth]
return following the cable back thru the reef-break.
if you have enough air, try to stay submerged until you're back at the orange-buoys
[sometimes there's a slight current and it's easier to crawl your way through that gap
rather than surface-swim]
shower-off, then get on the tram and ride it up.
repeat as necessary.
[note: i just called hanauma bay and confirmed they will be open 'til 10pm saturday.
then called their tram-contractor.. they also confirmed the tram would be in operation that night]

tram1.JPG

yellowtrumpet1.JPG

and.. after all this prep.. i might end up on kid-duty.. 'cuz of some "creative-memories" party my better half has to go to =/
but, if i can't arrange something.. my other buds will still be there.

One more tidbit...if you sign the book that you have seen the movie and are local...you don't have to see it again.

I am tempted...hurt my neck doing manual labor yesterday.

But...I might. Good camera action at night when the tide is right. Shouldn't be a big current...little swell...the swell is what makes the viz bad mostly over there...Witches Brew is exciting!! Kinda spooky boys, at night. Big ol Tigers out there and then I might bring my friend that smells like fish guts. Maybe I will loan him a fresh wetsuit. No spears, right? yea..they don't go for that on the tram, there..the movie and all.

Yea...slight incoming is perfect, no harsh current, clean clear water...wish I felt better.

I had a hard time swimming against the little rip tide action through the channel through the surf zone with the camera and big strobe...maybe staying under through there...kinda surgy...when the viz is bad you can get slammed...if the surge isn't bad and the water is clear...much easier. Some big rocks there that can eat a port.

And you can't really swim it at an angle cause the channel is narrow and straight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom