Hampton Roads dive certification...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone. New member to this board and totally new to scuba. Been snorkeling for years and want to get closer to the action. Wife and I are looking to get certified. Live on south side Hampton Roads. When we lived here 15 years ago, LDC seemed like THE place to go. Looking for advice on best place for initial training and to get outfitted. Willing to pay extra for private course...if it's worth it...is it? We will not likely dive here very much, but we would like to do it when we go on vacation. Also thinking about doing the open water certification someplace cool as a winter vacation. Should we do this or is the training/knowledge better acquired by doing it all with the same people? Thank you all in advance. If there are other considerations that we don't know to ask please feel free to share. John

Dive quarters. Great shop and good instruction!

LDC do SSI certs; DQ do PADI. Either will do a referral for your open water dives - believe you have 6 months to do this (but sooner would be better to keep things fresh). Certainly worth doing your 4 open water dives elsewhere, as poor visibility and cold water here may not exactly encourage your new dive habit (I do dive here, but it's not for everyone!). Best dive conditions for visibility, warmer water and great things to see would be south of Hatteras, NC (starting at Hatteras/ Morehead City and down to FL etc..).
Most of the open water certs follow a very similar syllabus, and rather than rate the dive stores I'd go talk to the instructors and find one you feel comfortable with.
As far as purchasing dive equipment, I'd keep it to a minimum (fins, booties, mask, snorkel, weight belt) and rent everything else until you get comfortable and know you'll stick with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom