Hammerheads in Southern Lombok???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend of mine mentioned a trip she was doing in Indonesia this Aug. One of the sites they are doing is "supposedly" a good spot for hammerhead sightings. It's called "The Magnet" somewhere off of Gili Nanngu. Supposed to be a pinnacle from 60M where the hammerheads gather... Anybody heard of this? All this time I was told to skip Lombok in terms of diving...

http://www.kapalselam.org/dive_trip/diving_lombok_the_magnet_dive_site_hammerheads/

disclaimer: I am not a member of this kapalselam dive club or linked to any of the dive shops involved. Just an average joe diver trying to figure out if this is just your usual dive tour "marketing" gimmick (kind of like the dive resorts that plaster "chance to dive with whale sharks!" all over their websites when the last time they actually saw one was 10 yrs ago...)

i do not know the repeatability of the sightings but it is certainly a known place. I havent been there myself but was planning to try it at some point.

The kapalselam dive club (of which im not a member) is a very active club in Bali and hence it is probably accurate information.

i have the email address of an operator but its on my work pc

A friend of mine tried " the magnet", and saw no hammerhead.
He was told he was unlucky....
Anyway, you need to go deep, and preferably on a day with current (so they said). Not an easy dive.

Nut Bubblefish:
AAnyway, you need to go deep, and preferably on a day with current (so they said). Not an easy dive.

Interesting. They do mentioned that the requirements for the trip was minimum rescue diver cert due to strong currents. I'll have to look into this. Never thought about southern Lombok. I was thinking more of the not so amazing diving around the gili trawagan/air area...

I was interested about 3 years ago and at the time received this email From Dream Divers in connection with my request for info on lombok, but i never followed it up. I think they are german run not 100%

info@dreamdivers.com
dreamdivers.com

dreamdivers:
We dive the whole year in the South.
The Hammerhead time is runnig untill Oct/Nov, than the Manta time begins.
There is no garantie for any special fish, u know as a diver for ur self what I mean, but after diving in the South for close 2 years, we have this small knwolledge

Hi Pakman

(Nice avatar! - You got a picture of the rest of the subject?)

I was in Lombok in June and wanted to dive the Magnet with one famed dive op in Lombok. But over the 2 days, they didn't manage to dive at that site as the conditions were just too bad. Although they did dive other sites in South Lombok.

For more info: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=147243

F/E

Hi Tim,

I never been there, how was the dive site ?
four_engines:
Hi Pakman

I was in Lombok in June and wanted to dive the Magnet with one famed dive op in Lombok. But over the 2 days, they didn't manage to dive at that site as the conditions were just too bad. Although they did dive other sites in South Lombok.

F/E

four_engines:
Hi Pakman

F/E

thanks for the info 4E. Yeah... I've been looking for the rest of that avatar as well.... :wink: might have to wait til the next world cup (if S Korea makes it far enough again...)

Kapal Selam dive club (KSDC) is a non-profit organization.
We, sometimes make trip at-cost, use our own cars, borrow member's house and we don't usually advertise our trip to non-member. However, we are open to divers who are keen to join our trip.
Most of what we do is help "pointing" divers to un-biased information regarding diving Indonesia and especially diving bali.
When making a trip we do not representing the diving operators, but simply as customers who done a deal with them and using club's contract and KSDC web as marketing tool as information to participants (members).
We do have some members who actually owners of Dive centers or instructors.
But all of commercial activities are done outside the club's.

As for the names that published in the participants list, bold characters represent as member and regular characters represent as friends of KSDC (mostly friends that members know of).
When you come to Bali, u r most welcome to visit our headquarter, which is actually in the internet coffe shop and talk to the one of the founder (Hengky).

Cheers,
Cuan, member of KSDC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom