Hammerheads at Flower Garden Banks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanted to click "Thanks!" but seems that button is gone (and I don't really get why I would cross-post from Scubaboard to Facebook!).

But you certainly got me clicking on that Fling Charter's link to see when I might be able to go!

Thanks for the trip report, zinc. Sure makes me itchy to get back "out there", but I don't think I'll get to this summer (RATS!).

As for the "oil" sightings...I'd be really surprised if that was truly oil. The FGBNMS has been monitoring the Banks pretty intensely since the spill. At several sites there are osmotic collectors at multiple levels on mooring lines, but there haven't been any positive hits yet (as far as I know). I have to believe that the materials sighted are probably organic in nature, possibly strands of decaying matter originating elsewhere. Of course, it is possible that it is trace oil from natural sources or even the ejecta produced by a vessel purging ballast tanks, etc...it is perhaps worth checking out.

Trip report from last weekends trip: Decent sized swells, 64F water, no oil anywhere, Hammerheads, Tigers and mantas a plenty. Amazing trip.

Overheard multiple times on the rough seas: "I didn't know if I would be sea sick so I didn't take my dramamine and now I can't keep it down HURRRAGHH".

Trip report from last weekends trip: Decent sized swells, 64F water, no oil anywhere, Hammerheads, Tigers and mantas a plenty. Amazing trip.

Overheard multiple times on the rough seas: "I didn't know if I would be sea sick so I didn't take my dramamine and now I can't keep it down HURRRAGHH".

I've heard that same quote a hundred times. It's like saying "I don't know if I can get pregnant, so I won't use birth control this time". Getting pregnant is like sea sickness, only you have it your entire life. Take your Dramamine before you leave the dock, folks.

Back
Top Bottom