Hammerhead spotted on Friday.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JenLoves2Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Very rare sighting!
According to a Facebook post from our buds at Scuba Mau, a huge hammerhead was spotted cruising around Palancar Caves.
Mau estimated it to be about 12-14 feet long. If you don't think that's possible, I have seen one in Playa that size about two years ago. Perhaps he came over for the holidays!
Sure hope it stays cruising around for awhile.

Me too, that would be awesome to see.....

That would be an incredible siting!!

My wife and I are opinionated that Hammerheads and Unicorns are all mythical creatures(JK'ing). Neither of us have seen a Hammerhead although everyone on the trip may have. Sounds like the shark sightings may be picking up for the island. Still waiting to see the Blacktips.

I saw a great hammerhead 2 years ago at Cedral. It was about a 14ft animal, and made 2 close passes to my group ( within 20 ft). I saw another and got a good photo of it at San Juan 2 months ago, probably 12 foot long. There are some areas that one can see hammerheads here but past 200ft and you will see them in a distance.

My wife and I are opinionated that Hammerheads and Unicorns are all mythical creatures(JK'ing). Neither of us have seen a Hammerhead although everyone on the trip may have. Sounds like the shark sightings may be picking up for the island. Still waiting to see the Blacktips.
We saw some blacktips (or something similar) at Punta Sur Cathedral last May. The thing that impressed me the most was how fast they were moving. When you see sharks in an aquarium, they are all cruising around at a pretty leisurely pace. Not these guys.

I've seen Blacktips here very often. They are usually in the 3-5 foot range.
I have also seen a 6 foot reef shark at Punta Sur. I have a photo somewhere!
There is also a video somewhere on You Tube of a smaller scalloped hammerhead cruising around Palancar Horseshoe around the old memorial to Martin. About 1.5 to 2 years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom