Hammerhead bite - California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Hammerhead shark bites diver off San Diego coast | FOX5 San Diego
SAN DIEGO — A man bit by a shark was recovering Thursday following an airlift rescue from a boat about 100 miles off the San Diego coast.
Just after 8 a.m. Monday, Coast Guard officials received a report of a 58-year-old man bitten on the right hand by hammerhead shark. The man was reportedly diving when he was attacked.
An EMT onboard the passenger vessel performed basic first aid before the MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter arrived on the scene, officials said.
The victim was airlifted at about 10 a.m. and arrived in San Diego shortly before 11 a.m.
He was taken in stable condition to UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest, Coast Guard officials said.

man ... glad he's ok

maybe the warming off California is pushing sharks into seeking new prey?

man ... glad he's ok

maybe the warming off California is pushing sharks into seeking new prey?
That was suggested by the guy interviewed in the video. The newscaster also stated he lost a hand, but none of the other stories suggest it was that bad.

as I understand it, sharks will bite as a way to determine whether whatever they're biting is "food" or not

it seems this shark decided "not"

as I understand it, sharks will bite as a way to determine whether whatever they're biting is "food" or not

it seems this shark decided "not"

Well yeah. Because if the shark decided "is" it wouldn't be nearly as nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad it was only a nibble. Cortes Banks is a beautiful dive location.

As I heard it from a reliable source... he was hunting and trying to get his catch back to the boat. He did not lose his hand.

Why am I not surprised? He will however, have an interesting story to tell at the bar.

As I heard it from a reliable source... he was hunting and trying to get his catch back to the boat. He did not lose his hand.

This is a much more logical theory as to why the attack took place. People dive with Hammerheads all the time without incident. Spearmen run into Hammerhead incidents in the Keys when a bloody fish is involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom