Halloween Badges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey..
Only my mother gets to call me Frankie!!
Regarding Halloween being a North American thing.. I remember as a kid in Scotland it was a really big deal. It wasn't "Trick or Treat" that we said as we went door to door .. it was "Anything for Halloween" and we were invited in to earn our treat by singing or whatever by some of the neighbours..
I think the tradition.. like many others, went westward over the ocean to America.. not the other way around.
However, the mass commercialization of it.. Yep.. that's probably General Foods & Hallmarks doing!
If you are a kid it is the holiday with the most fun and candy (sweeties).

Glad you liked them, I had fun drawing them :wink:

So now that Halloween's over what's next ... do we all become turkeys? :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ya just never know :D

Turkey-Bob.gif

Frank, that's my understanding of Hallowe'en, too. My mum was from Glasgow, and she talked about carving turnips and putting candles in them and dressing up for Hallowe'en- and yes, you had to earn your treats by singing or doing something funny, not a handout like it is here.

I guess that's what happens when customs migrate....

In the closest town to me there's a local artist - Tim Murton- who gets a group of about 12 people together a month before Hallowe'en. They spend hours putting together wire frames and covering them with white cloth to make giant 6 ft skeletons and ghosts and fun creepy crawlies. Then they put them out all over the main street. The store owners commission them, and you'll get giant white snakes or bats or what have you hanging off the buildings. it's become quite the tradition.

This year he outdid himself: he put a giant shark and a four piece Loch Ness monster in the river where you could see it from the main road. If I could figure out how to put pictures in a post I'll post a shot of the monster.

Frank, that's my understanding of Hallowe'en, too. My mum was from Glasgow, and she talked about carving turnips and putting candles in them and dressing up for Hallowe'en- and yes, you had to earn your treats by singing or doing something funny, not a handout like it is here.
In the closest town to me there's a local artist - ... he put a giant shark and a four piece Loch Ness monster in the river where you could see it from the main road. If I could figure out how to put pictures in a post I'll post a shot of the monster.

What town is that? I am from Glasgow myself originally and also lived in Ontario (Toronto and east and north of it).
By the way, Just spoke to some friends in Italy and they have just started to do the halloween 'trick or treat' thing there.

Here goes, Lisa....Loch Ness monster and the shark. Tim had left his canoe out on the river, it adds some tension to the shark jumping up...maybe next year I'll get involved and create a diver to go in front of the shark.

Frank, the town is Elora, north of Kitchener/Waterloo, lots of artists....

Attachments

• loch ness1.jpg
    loch ness1.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 19
  • loch ness2.jpg
    loch ness2.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 24
You can also see a jellyfish type critter to the left of the shark, I hadn't noticed that till I posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom