Halcyon??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I LOVE MY SALVO SS BP and MY AGIR 36# WING! I met the owner/manufacturer of AGIR 2 weeks ago! Definitely a man who listens to those who uses his equipment. I definitely will be making more purchases from him and Salvo based on customer service! That means the most for me when it comes to gear purchases!

Happy diving!
Carolyn :sharks:

ps. Just added your site to my favorites Mike! Good luck with your business!

I think training is important. My LDS carries Halcyon but some of the sales men don't know anyting about it and actually had me looking at other types of equ. I was not interested in. With DIR training and teaching and the right gear you could have an edge. I personally prefer the Oxycheq and Aqualung/Sunnto products over the Halcyon and Scubapro/UWATEC products.

Though that is MHO. Halcyon and Scubapro/UWATEC products from the standpoint of marketing are better. Not to start a fire, Halcyon and Scubapro/UWATEC products, are also darn good products. I just think you can get better for less as a consumer.
That's my $0.02.

In my OW/Nitrox class (at a university), we learned on Halcyon bp w/ eclipse wings. I loved it - used a rented jacket on my 3 days of open water dives and hated it. I don't think it'll intimidate newbies - they don't know what it is, so it won't occur to them to be intimidated. At least, that was the case with me.

serrada:
...Halcyon and Scubapro/UWATEC products from the standpoint of marketing are better...
Not sure I understand this. Are you saying that they are marketed better than oxyCheq, Aqualung/Suunto? I think they all (except maybe oxyCheq) are marketed equally. I would argue that H not even as much as the other ones either.

I think H has followings and that makes it appear to be marketed better. I think that some divers like Halcyon because they feel that they did a lot of the research back in the day. There was/is a project and a story behind the gear development. I think that intrigues people.

Anyway, I've had little to no problems with my H gear. Those that I did have were my fault. And, I've had great service from Halcyon: I send it, they fix it, they ship back, no questions asked. I've had no better customer service from anyone else... except maybe costco who takes anything back, any time, for any reason.

I do like my photon torpedos LEDs better than the scouts LEDs. I like the PT's in general better than scouts. Most stuff I am somewhat indifferent on.

I have a FredT SS plate, a DR SSPlate, and a DR Alum plate. I purchased them because I got a good deal on them. I don't see much difference in plates. Maybe I am just lucky.

I have evolve60 and pioneer36 wings. My pioneer has SS inflator of death that (KOW) I have had no problems with. I have a DR ventur wing and a DR classic wing that I really don't dive anymore. I don't like the dump on the venture wing and the Classic wing auto-inflated on me twice... seems fine now after a little cleaning. But I don't really need them. I hold them around for friends to use, but alas, all my diving friends have gear and all of my semi-diving friends are happy renting.

I have the TDL/Scubapro/Generic frameless mask that I really like. I have two. I haven't used an H mask, but I know some people who like them.

I love my H wetnotes. The only suggestion I would make is that that velcro page mark strap be longer and have more velcro so that it stays in place. Something I will probably fix myself.

I love my H SMB. I like the valve mostly. I have had others and didn't really like them. Only suggestion would be make it so that I don't have to go over the valve when putting the bungee back on (pre-rigged to spool) by putting the bungee on other side of loop.

I have SP jets. Very happy with them. I am considering OMS slips just to try out, but since I have the robins egg blue jets, it'll take something pretty amazing in a fin to make me change. Plus, I'm not a big OMS fan up to this point. I've had some stuff from them that I feel is more techreational and not on one side or the other. Seems to take the worst of both worlds sometimes. But that is just my opinion and I am sure that it's like comparing vehicles or anything else on the planet... it's just my preference.

So, the long and short of this is that I like H. I am not wedded to them. I have had spectacular service from the. I like other companies too. And, last but not least, I need to be more like Ken and get some of this crap out of the dive closet :)

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom