halcyon worth the price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spanky,

To answer your question seriously, you can get the 36lb Pioneer package for under $500 if you shop around. Whether or not this is worth it to you is how much you value the benefits it will offer to you. For me it was worth it. In an ideal world you could try one out before buying, but that depends on if you know anyone that has one - I haven't seen them for rent anywhere near me, but you could have that option in your area. Extreme Exposure has a policy of a full refund for 30 days for any gear you buy, try, and don't like - they're more expensive than other sources, but there is the peace of mind that if you decide you don't like it, you can get a refund.

bengalsmgtsucks raised the issue of weight integration - you didn't ask about this in your original post, but it is available as an accessory, in two different sizes (ACB and ACB+, 30 and 20lbs total respectively). Figure to add another $112 to $160 (roughly) if you go down this path.

bengalsmgtsucks is also a dive shop owner - you might want to send him a private message to ask if he stocks Halcyon gear, and if he can organise a sale for you. There are of course alternatives to the Halcyon brand, often each manufacturer has their own following.

And don't worry about the SS backplate failing if you buy a FredT backplate (which is an alternative to the Halcyon backplate if you decide to put your own rig together - not all all difficult) - there's about as much chance of it failing as a brick failing.

cheers

Ben

Originally posted by boomx5
Why yes? and Why no?
Plate ~ not worth the extra price IMO... have a Halcyon and a generic... both are bent SS with holes and slots... both do the same job equally.... from what I've seen of FredT's plate it might be the best way to go.

Wing ~ worth the extra price IMO... the best shape out there - long and narrow with air passage top & bottom... folds up nicely around the tank in use and presents little drag... does not trap air/easy to dump in any position... top quality construction with great manufacturer support.

I am not sure if FredT rigs up the BP with the webbing and d rings. It can be a bit frustrating. As a new diver it may be worth paying the extra price for the entire rig put together.

That said, after using one a bit, I would go with the FredT myself, but if I was in the same position I was when I first got mine, I would probably still go with EE, the 30 money back is very true and they honor it well. It was nice to get it and have most of it put together.

To answer your question, is Halcyon worth it? I am new to diving, but have been around the block in other sports a bit, and I say a resounding, yes, it is worth it.

A good bit of their equipment is battle hardened and design tested several miles back in caves. In other words, much harder and extreme dives than we will probably be doing this year. :)

Tommy

Also, isn't there some operation in Canada offering better prices on Halcyon than anyone else?

I'm here and I haven't seen it.... prices I've seen were downright ridiculous. Although you have that American money thats worth twice of ours, so perhaps it would be cheaper. I do know a few sites you could check into.....

SS

Here's another you could check out:

http://www.northerntechdiver.com/

Thanks for the Oddessey link - they're not too far from me and I didn't know about them.

SS

How is this thread going on in both General Equipment Discussion and also Basic Scuba Discussion?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom